• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking For Help with UDS Build

sandiegobbq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a pretty old weber 22 1/2 grill that I want to use for the top and the bottom to make a UDS.

The bottom does not have the ash catcher or even the ash pan.

It just has the three circular vents on the bottom and some are stuck.

I am new here and have been trying to search and see if someone has made one of these.

Can I drill out the vents and then re-rivet it or should I just make it simple and use cork to plug the holes.

Can I just use the bottom grill as it or do I have to move the charcoal grate up higher?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sandie, there is a lot of information on USD construction in two threads in Q-Talk:

The Mother of All UDS Threads, and

If a Redneck Wanted to Build a UDS.

I'd start with the Redneck thread. It's shorter and the ideas are very simple. I won't restate the whole thread here, but with a handful of parts and some simple tools, you can build a UDS in 2-3 hours using several parts of your old Weber grill. (Probably won't need the bottom, tho')

Sterling

You need to check ou the UDS thread here in qtalk
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436
There's like 8000 posts just about these. I know I've seen pics of one built as you describe. That must be one old Weber, I've never seen one with the 3 circular vents on bottom. You could always call Weber customer service for replacement parts, I doubt they still make them for your model but if you post some pics someone might be able to lead you to a replacement part number that will work.

Sandie, there is a lot of information on USD construction in two threads in Q-Talk:

The Mother of All UDS Threads, and

If a Redneck Wanted to Build a UDS.

I'd start with the Redneck thread. It's shorter and the ideas are very simple. I won't restate the whole thread here, but with a handful of parts and some simple tools, you can build a UDS in 2-3 hours using several parts of your old Weber grill. (Probably won't need the bottom, tho')

Sterling

Yes I have looked through a lot of both threads but haven't seen a UDS built with a weber 22 1/2 bottom on it.

Sorry to repeat....Sterling beat me to it.
(Probably won't need the bottom, tho')

Sterling
I swear I've seen a post with one that used a top and bottom to make a kind of giant WSM/UDS style. I thought it was norecore but I cant find it now.

You need to check ou the UDS thread here in qtalk
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436
There's like 8000 posts just about these. I know I've seen pics of one built as you describe. That must be one old Weber, I've never seen one with the 3 circular vents on bottom. You could always call Weber customer service for replacement parts, I doubt they still make them for your model but if you post some pics someone might be able to lead you to a replacement part number that will work.

Yes, I have looked a lot in that thread.

If there is no replacement part and I can attach the bottom of the weber grill to the 55 gal drum then I might just drill the rivets out of the three vents on the bottom and rig something up or maybe just use some cork.

That's part of the reason folks are suggesting the UDS threads here on the board. The bottom of the Weber grill is smaller in diameter than the top and the top frequently has to be adjusted bigger in order to fit the top of the drum. The KISS design on the Redneck thread that Pat started is so easy to build and use, I'd have to highly recommend it, especially if you haven't built or used a smoker before. It's cheap, sturdy, stable and very forgiving.

Sterling

Thanks that helps somewhat but he is using a smoky joe weber grill for the bottom and I have a 22 1/2 inch grill.

I am curious if anyone knows if the 55 gal drum will fit on the bottom part of the 22 1/2.
I think you should give it another read, it is a standard weber kettle top and bottom, 22.5". If all you need to know is if they fit, they fit as good as the lids because several people have used them for lids on their UDS. I think the one from Randy's site looks strange because he fitted the kettle bottom to a cut up section of drum as he was worried the kettle legs wouldn't support the weight.

That's part of the reason folks are suggesting the UDS threads here on the board. The bottom of the Weber grill is smaller in diameter than the top and the top frequently has to be adjusted bigger in order to fit the top of the drum. The KISS design on the Redneck thread that Pat started is so easy to build and use, I'd have to highly recommend it, especially if you haven't built or used a smoker before. It's cheap, sturdy, stable and very forgiving.

Sterling
I totally agree, especially if you have not cooked on a UDS before. Build the plain jane stock version, learn how it cooks and how to cook on it, then venture into modification one thing at a time so you can keep track of how each mod effects the cook. It'll keep the learning curve to a minimum and allow you to tell if each mod was worth it or not. Or if they need to be altered slightly or ditched altogether, ie. height of ball valve in relation to exhaust.

Sterling

Thanks. I have been cooking on WSMS for about 11 years.
I helped on a bbq team and also introduced Professor Salt on his first cook.
I moved and sold all of my grills and smokers and now want to get back.

I just thought that since I had this old grill that a friend gave me that he was going to throw out I could use it. Maybe I will just use the lid and the cooking grill. A new charcoal grate is probably needed.

I totally agree, especially if you have not cooked on a UDS before. Build the plain jane stock version, learn how it cooks and how to cook on it, then venture into modification one thing at a time so you can keep track of how each mod effects the cook. It'll keep the learning curve to a minimum and allow you to tell if each mod was worth it or not. Or if they need to be altered slightly or ditched altogether, ie. height of ball valve in relation to exhaust.

Yes I agree simple is better.

If the bottom part is too complicated to rig then I will just go with the standard version with the kettle top.

I would go very simple and just use holes and magnets.

Hey if you got the experience que'ing and want to build some crazy UDS, dont let us discourage you. I wasn't sure of your expertise and assumed you were a newbie, my apologies. I'll keep looking for the other UDS I saw with the kettle bottom and maybe some others will help. In the meantime you could just dive in and we'll help you through it as you go.:thumb:

Hey if you got the experience que'ing and want to build some crazy UDS, dont let us discourage you. I wasn't sure of your expertise and assumed you were a newbie, my apologies. I'll keep looking for the other UDS I saw with the kettle bottom and maybe some others will help. In the meantime you could just dive in and we'll help you through it as you go.:thumb:

No problem.

Thanks for trying to help me out.

Appreciate it.

Back