MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
A Thermapen! BBQ gloves also come in handy for use on a WSM.
Toast beat me to it!!! Seriously, the thermapen is definitely the best purchase you can make if you want your BBQ to improve. seriously.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
OlyQ
Full Fledged Farker

A maverick wireless thermometer . A good supply of rubs , rolls of foil . A big tray or pan for meat transport from the kitchen to the BBQ. A cooler for resting butts and briskest.

And BEER.
OlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

pokers, toothpick for ribs, something a bit bigger for brisket. the bone wiggle is good for butts.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
mirage
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the warm welcome! Haha about the meat. We homebrew so have all the beer we can drink (was actually gonna make brew day a smoke/brew day!). I keep reading about the thermapen... Is it really worth the price? Also as far as welding gloves go would you recommend any I'm particular or just grab any old pair that has big gauntlets?
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #20
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

forget about the thermapen, at this point. that is a toy, a fun one, but a toy. unless you're serving food to the public as a professional.

any heavy duty gloves will do.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #21
mirage
Found some matches.

So to know when stuff is done just seeing if it falls apart when I manipulate it? Or would a different type of thermometer be preferable? I saw that the maker of the thermapen also makes some cheaper probes. Thanks for the info on the gloves! I will pick some up at lowes when I pick up some coal.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #22
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions and the warm welcome! Haha about the meat. We homebrew so have all the beer we can drink (was actually gonna make brew day a smoke/brew day!). I keep reading about the thermapen... Is it really worth the price? Also as far as welding gloves go would you recommend any I'm particular or just grab any old pair that has big gauntlets?
It's not a toy. It's accurate approx. $80 shipped.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #23
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Already mentioned, but something to keep your charcoal dry in is fairly essential. Wet lump is depressing.

One problem with the guru, it limits beer consumption. Since it allows the pit to work almost completely unattended, I don't have any excuse not to do other yard/house work.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #24
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

• Thermapen - If you are checking tempatures make the time to check as quick as possible.
  • Welding gloves or BBQ gloves - There's gonna be a time at some point you're gonna need to move the smoker when it's hot or take the center off and add to the fire or something along those lines, better to do it without your bare hands :)
  • LONG tongs. regular tongs are good and well but a pair of good long tongs, for example the weber ones will make it sooooooo much nicer.
  • Tempature Probe grommet. There are tons of tutorials on different things to use but if you are using a remote thermometer you need to do this mod.
  • Second charcoal grate, or expanded metal, turned 90* - this will help prevent some of the smaller charcoal pieces from falling through.
  • Patience, the smoker will take a few runs to get settled in and seal up some of the gaps and the temperature control will start to become easier.
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #25
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

If you're gonna leave your pit, a remote thermometer. Thermapen.

And one of these! Even if you don't need it. Fun stuff.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #26
DBH

Nitro gloves to go over cotton gloves.
22.5 OTG
Smokey Joe
E-330 gasser
More Thermapens than I know what to do with
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #27
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

When I got my first WSM, what I realize now to be the most essential part of my set up was my log book.
I wrote down every aspect of every cook, from ambient air temp, to how much fuel I started with and when I added water and/or fuel, vent positions, etc... For some reason, writing things down reinforces them in your memory. Well for me anyways.
You really learn your pit and how to control it.
After that, I'd say a zero-gravity lawn chair.
Then a Thermapen.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #28
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
So to know when stuff is done just seeing if it falls apart when I manipulate it? Or would a different type of thermometer be preferable? I saw that the maker of the thermapen also makes some cheaper probes.
I have remote reading Mavericks (ET-73 and ET-732) that allow me to monitor meat and cooker temps without going outside or opening the cooker. Nice for winter cooks in particular. I used the lid thermometer before I got those and still monitor it and you can cook using that alone.

I have a $15 Maverick Weekend Warrior probe. It's a few seconds slower and many $$$ less expensive than the Thermapen and meets (meats? ) my needs.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #29
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

Aside froma all the food handling gear already mentioned, one of the most important things is a thermometer. Before I bought my thermapen, I bought

this unit from thermoworks that is really good and very affordable. Equally as important is a thermometer for your pit and food as its cooking so something like the maverick mentioned earlier or the igrill is really nice to have.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
Teltum

Stuff you'll need:
Spatula.
Tongs.
Good knife (Carving or Chef's, Victorinox is a good brand. fyi: I am not paid to say that)
Lighter & back-up lighter (I hate using my toaster and paper to make a flame)
Beer.
Lawn chair.
Small table to hold stuff.
Tin foil. (You'll find uses)
A BBQ tray (high heat tolerent metal pans work).
Some type of cheap reasonably accurate thermo to verify cook temps.

Stuff I own and love:
ET-732
Thermapen (I use it more in grilling and pan searing indoors than BBQ)
Apron (you will place a hunk of meat on the the smoker and get rub all over your hands and you want to keep your beer clean)

Stuff you should have but I don't and I am still smokin':
Gloves are nice but I don't see a need.
Ash tin is nice but I don't need one.

Stuff I want:
Pitmaster IQ