MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Juggy D Beerman
Full Fledged Farker

Default The Biggest BBQ Myth

I have seen people advise others on using strips of bacon or a bacon weave to wrap a pork loin or a cut of venison as a means of keeping the interior of the meat from drying out.

I think this is a bunch of hoo-haw. The bacon "may" keep the exterior of the meat moist, but it does nothing to make the interior more moist whatsoever. All that bacon does is form a barrier between the meat you are wanting to cook and the smoke you are trying to flavor it with. While the cooked along with the meat may taste good and add flavor, it does nothing to add or prevent moisture loss to the finished product.

Beers for thought,

Juggy D Beerman

Last edited by Juggy D Beerman; 11-12-2012 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: forgot to post the word, "Loss" in my final sentence
Juggy D Beerman is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

While I think you are likely correct in your assumptions, I don't think this is "The Biggest BBQ Myth" ................
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

My vote, for biggest BBQ myth, is that 220 or 225 is a magic number...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

who cares, it's adding BACON to meat and smoking it. Myth or not, it's an improvement :)
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
My vote, for biggest BBQ myth, is that 220 or 225 is a magic number...
Yes.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I'd have to agree. Wrapping bacon around my meat never got the results I was hoping for.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Requiem
Found some matches.

I happen to disagree when it comes to venison and loin, both are extremely lean meats, the addition of a fat would help to limit the loss of moisture. Mind you the juiciness of meat does not only come from liquid such as water, but from fat. Hence the idea of bacon providing the barrier from evaporation and providing fat.

Alas, you also have to realize that fat molecules are much too large to penetrate fibrous muscle, that is why you are looking for marbling in cuts of meat. So the benefits would seem to be more about flavor than about juiciness. I don't think it is a myth as it holds some weight.

And if it is smoked isn't the smoke supposed to surround the cut? Why would bacon put on the top have anything to do with keeping the smoke out of the meat? Maybe limit the smoke on the top but definitely not the whole cut.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
long haired hippie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

"Wrapping bacon around my meat never got the results I was hoping for."

All I can say is, you must be doing it wrong...

Heck, I wrap my wife in bacon!
I dip bacon in my coffee!

I guess I'm just a bacon kinda guy ;)
long haired hippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I dont see why people wrap fatties. Thats about as moist of a product as you can have.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with that. Why pick on bacon.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Along the same lines, another big myth is that you should cook brisket "fat up" to keep it moist.

Nice to see you here Juggy :-)
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
I dont see why people wrap fatties. Thats about as moist of a product as you can have.
Cuz it taste good!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think I agree with the OP.

The reason that meat dries out is because it is cooked too long.
You want moist and juicy pork loin, venison or other lean roasts? Cook them over HIGH heat and pull them before they hit the target temp. Also....KNOW what that targe temp is.

You can put 10 lbs of bacon around a pork loin and if you cook it until it's 180 IT.....it'll be tough and dry.

Bacon is definitely an improvement, but it won't fix overcooked meat.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Iroquois
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

The Culinary definition for this act is called Barding. I thought I would share this article for discussion.

When meat is wrapped in strips of fat while it cooks, the practice is called barding. Barding helps to keep meat moist while it cooks, and also imparts flavor. A related practice, larding, involves inserting pure fat into a cut of meat with the assistance of special tools. Whether barding or larding, the result is a rich, flavorful cut of meat which is also moist and tender.

Bacon and fatback are two cuts of meat commonly used as barding. Fatback is exactly what it sounds like; it is a fatty cut from the back of a pig. Any meat rich in fat will work as barding, however, with darker fats like goose and duck lending a distinct flavor to the meats they are cooked with. The barding is often seasoned as well, to further flavor the meat.

The meat which is most often barded is poultry, because poultry tends to dry out during the cooking process. By wrapping the breast of a bird in bacon or fatback, the cook can ensure that the meat stays tender and moist. As the barding cooks, the fat will render out, trickling through the meat. In a sense, barding is an automatic basting system. When the meat is close to done, the barding is usually removed to allow the meat to brown.
Iroquois is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
Deep South
Full Fledged Farker

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon.