MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

Default Other pulled pork sandwiches

I always serve pulled pork on hamburger buns with choice of sauce and slaw and it is good but I'm looking for something different just to change things up a bit.

I heard someone say pulled pork with a slice of onion on white bread was good.

Looking for ideas, what do you suggest?
1 Weber 22.5 with Rib-O-Lator & [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermopen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
____________[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][COLOR=midnightblue][FONT=Verdana]

PNWBA Board Member | CBJ #200356[/FONT]
Smokin' HOT Grillfriends | Wellseasoned & The CanadaQ Crew BBQ Team
Event Organizer: Big Red Barn Burner | Cloverdale Cowboy Cook-off | BBQ on the By Pass[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Redwingsfn31
Full Fledged Farker

I just had pulled pork on a bun with sliced bacon weave fatty...mmmm
Redwingsfn31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

if I don't have a tangy vinegar sauce, I like dill pickles.

bread and butter pickles are good too for a change
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
2K1TJ
Knows what a fatty is.

I like to serve pulled pork piled high open-faced style on 2 slices of lightly buttered and grilled Texas toast, and maybe top them with a little coleslaw. Mmm...

Edit:
If you are vending, this may not be the easiest nor the most economical way, but it's really good.
2K1TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
texman02
Full Fledged Farker

I like it on light bread with just a little sauce and peppers. Jalapeno or some of the cayenes i canned this summer. mmmmmmmmm!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I buy real soft hoagy rolls and tuck pulled pork in so they can be eaten like hot dogs. Those work great too, make big sandwiches though compared to burger buns.

Sometimes I cook both pulled pork and pulled beef and serve a combo sandwich up on a hoagy roll, pork at one end and beef on the other. People like those!

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Redwingsfn31
Full Fledged Farker

Try ur pulled pork on Hawaiian rolls. Thats pretty darn good too. Or go cuban style on a crusty baguette with swiss cheese and pickles.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Wifey is from western Kentucky, where they use a press on a lot of their BBQ sandwiches made with bread slices (most notably "Starnes", in Paducah KY). One trick I do at home is to mimic this by buttering the outside of a BBQ sandwich, then use the bottom of another smaller pan to act as a "press" and really flatten the sandwich. It ends up like a grilled cheese sandwich, where you have two lightly browned pieces of bread on the outside, with warm pulled pork inside. It's yummy.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Try pulled pork burritos with rice and cheese, refried beans.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
Sizzlepig
On the road to being a farker

I second the pulled pork burritos. Sometimes I will use a lot of chile powder, cumin, corriander and red chile flake in my rub with the intent of using the pulled pork for burritos or tacos.
Sizzlepig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Add a couple slices of smoked sausage, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and mustard to your next pulled pork sammich. Add some carmelized onions if you like, and I do.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
Redwingsfn31
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlepig View Post
I second the pulled pork burritos. Sometimes I will use a lot of chile powder, cumin, corriander and red chile flake in my rub with the intent of using the pulled pork for burritos or tacos.

MMMMM, carnitas.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I went to a street festival this weekend and someone I never found wa serving shredded pork (I assume) on little flat breads. Eaten sort of like a taco. It reminded me of the Greek flat bread sandwiches I use to get from a street vendor, only he had lamb.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I take a serving of pulled pork, heat it up in a pan with some chopped onion and sauce. Served on toast with a slice of cheese and mayonnaise.
If you're close enough to Savannah, you can get Cptn. John Derst's Old Fashioned Bread. It's yellow, and fabulous when toasted.
Funyuns on the side.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
dgassaway
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys, these all sound good. I'll for sure have to try some of these soon. The carnitas and the BBq sandwich press may be the 1st I try.
1 Weber 22.5 with Rib-O-Lator & [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermopen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
____________[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=2][COLOR=midnightblue][FONT=Verdana]

PNWBA Board Member | CBJ #200356[/FONT]
Smokin' HOT Grillfriends | Wellseasoned & The CanadaQ Crew BBQ Team
Event Organizer: Big Red Barn Burner | Cloverdale Cowboy Cook-off | BBQ on the By Pass[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
dgassaway is offline   Reply With Quote