Should I Buy Another Craigslist Smoker? Good One Open Range

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
As usual, perusing the Farkbook, LetItGo, Craigslist listings for some awesome steal.

Find a guy with a Good One Open Range smoker. Now you don’t see or hear about them much on this forum but there are a few posts here and there. Decent fan following on the interwebs and good reviews from some blogs and AmazingRibs.

It’s an over/under charcoal design with a long narrow firebox running the length of the smoke box. Controlled by a damper, and a few spinner vents. Supposed to hold 10lbs of charcoal and give you about 8 hours at a rock steady temp. You can also direct grill over the firebox.

So he doesn’t have many pictures and it shows a little surface rust. He has it priced about 30% of a new one. So I connect today and go see it.

View attachment 173432
View attachment 173433

First, it’s smaller than I thought. There are two racks in the smoke chamber. It would hold about 2-3 racks of ribs on each shelf, perhaps two briskets or 3-4 butts. I’m thinking about it for unattended cooks or for chicken and reverse searing.

He’s kept it outside uncovered. The rust on the firebox is fairly light surface rust. The grates and drip pan in the smoke chamber are rusted lightly. The firebox is another story. Both grates pretty rusted, and the ash pan is a mess. He had it out of the smoker leaning against a shed. It was soaking wet. Bottom of the ash pan was very rusted. He told me it had been sitting with ash and water in it. Damn. The spinners were tight, but not stuck so I think could be saved. He also told me one of the tires was low.

Just not sure. It sounds kinda fun. I could use the grill for kebabs or skewers like Sako does sometimes. But I don’t really need it. Might dump the propane gasser I haven’t used in a year if I pick it up...but it could be a rusted mess.

What say ye!

Last edited:
Tiger Woods was going to play golf with Dan Patrick and they were discussing betting on the proceedings. Patrick asked how much should be bet and Woods responded with "what makes you uncomfortable?". Point being you should go for it if the price doesn't make you feel a little shifty.

Well that’s part of my issue. At this price is a great deal if the smoker is in great shape. It’s not. So it’s probably priced fair for this condition. But I’m not sure I’m interested in it at a fair price. If he wants to dump it for lower I could see playing with it as a rehab.

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do then. I'd offer him what you want to pay and let him know he can call you if he can't find a better offer.

You’re not helping. I want someone to tell me 30% of new is already a great deal and it’s a great smoker and.

Oh nevermind. Totally what I kinda figured. Throw him a lowball and tell him to let me know if he wants it out of the yard.

Should take a move from JasonTQ’s playbook and bring a packer to take a picture with. Is it me or does it look like two fishing tackle boxes on top of each other? I’d buy it though.

The idea of reaching over the hot fire box to tend to the meat does not seem appealing to me. I could see myself burning the crap out of my arms and other things with that smoker. I would get an old country over under instead

I'd hard pass that based on the description, not knowing the price.

"Holistically" speaking....does it fill a gap in your current cooker lineup? You can grill skewers on nearly anything.

Get it :icon_smile_tongue:

I got mine on CL a few years ago and after being out of the rotation for awhile I’ve used it quite a bit recently - it is very easy to get up to and maintain 250 and it’s also a reverse searing machine :clap2:

Reaching over the firebox has never been a problem for me; they are known as charcoal hogs but I can get 5 or so hours on about 1/3 to 1/2 full; the downside is the capacity is a little lacking.

The idea of reaching over the hot fire box to tend to the meat does not seem appealing to me. I could see myself burning the crap out of my arms and other things with that smoker. I would get an old country over under instead

Depending on the model the lid is reversible if you want for that reason, although I’ve seen a variety of comments that it really isn’t an issue leaning over it.

I got mine on CL a few years ago and after being out of the rotation for awhile I’ve used it quite a bit recently - it is very easy to get up to and maintain 250 and it’s also a reverse searing machine :clap2:

Reaching over the firebox has never been a problem for me; they are known as charcoal hogs but I can get 5 or so hours on about 1/3 to 1/2 full; the downside is the capacity is a little lacking.

I was wondering if you’d comment. Saw a few of your prior posts. Capacity does seem small, but I have my Lang for larger cooks. I think I’d do wings in this instead of my Weber and we do a lot of reverse sear tri tips too.

I'd hard pass that based on the description, not knowing the price.

"Holistically" speaking....does it fill a gap in your current cooker lineup? You can grill skewers on nearly anything.

He’s asking $350. They are about $1200 new.

I have the pit barrel for longer unmonitored cooks but horizontal capacity is limited. Does 8 racks of ribs but only 2 butts. Also I use the Weber for wings and about 40 sections is my limit. This would expand that capacity too.

Do I ‘need’ it! No. Will $250-300 impact my budget in anyway? Nope. It’s interesting because it’s different and you don’t see them around a lot. Just a whim because it popped up and it’s 3 miles from my house.

One cook and sold it? Sheesh. Looked great after you rehabbed it. If I get it, mine won’t be that extensive.

Thanks. I think I had 5-6 cooks on it before parting ways. I restored the smoker as I had no intention to ever sell it. I also didn't think a used Shirley smoker would come up for sale in the Twin Cities days after restoring it. I couldn't pass it up. I unfortunately had to sell a few grills to make the Shirley purchase happen. Unfortunately the Open Range had to go.

I don't have much experience with it but it was dead simple to use and keep temperatures rock steady. The major downfall is the size and lump consumption. It can eat through lump. (When in comparison to my BGE) With small cooks the Open Range was great. The low and slow could get expensive if using higher quality lump. Expecially if you're paying around $1/lb for Rockwood lump. It ends up being an extra $15 in lump for a couple pork butts. Cheap lump is your friend with this smoker. Especially if you can grabs some bags of Frontier at Walmart. Than it really doesn't matter the cost.

If you can get it for the right price go for it. Flip it if you don't like it. I picked mine up for $220. I was able to flip it for $550 after the restoration. Worth the TLC if you have the time.

The cook chamber is small but on the other hand the advantage is it gets up to temp quickly - I actually used it tonight and had to hustle up two monster tomahawk ribeyes for a family gathering and they turned out great.

I think it would be perfect for reverse searing a couple tri-tips; I have never done wings on it as I like my Weber 26 with a vortex for that.

I would also say it’s pretty much hands off but if you like to fiddle a little bit you can mess with the spinners and the full length damper, and easy access to the firebox allows you to move coals or pieces of wood around if you wish.

Great little cooker IMO especially if you’re looking at <$500.

Steel cookers have a coolness factor that is hard to replicate.
My vote —buy it.

I will help you. Go by the Good One, and I will help clear a spot by taking that crappy old Lang off of your hands. That sounds like a win-win...right? :heh:

Back