Tri-tip

QDoc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Found some in my local store for the first time. I've never seen the cut before. Bought three and plan on freezing till I decide what to do with them. Any advice?

Smoke them and make tri tip sammaches good stuff!!!! I make them all the time but im in Kommiefornia so they are easy to find.

Reverse sear! Smoke or cook indirect over charcoal with a chunk of wood. When the IT hits 115ish then get the flame going and sear both sides until it’s 130-135. Let it rest and slice against the grain. Perfect medium rare.

8jrukPyl.jpg

All those suggestions are good .....but ..... my last one ... I sous vide at 128 degrees for 10 hours then seared all sides over a charcoal grill ..... one of the most tender I have made.

Found some in my local store for the first time. I've never seen the cut before. Bought three and plan on freezing till I decide what to do with them. Any advice?

Treat it like a fat ribeye.

Season with SPG. Sear hot on both sides and indirect until about 130 in the center.

Cutting it properly is the most important part.

I just tried cooking for the first time recently and LOVE it.

I sear on the grill, then finish in the smoker at 225 degrees.

YUM-A-LISH-ISH!

You have to cook it to your desired doneness. Whatever that is, that's perfectly fine.

You didn't state what kind of cooker you'll be using, so it's kinda hard to help you.

All I can say is I cook one every week, fresh from a local butcher.

I do the reverse sear with oak on my stick burner.

Smoke at 275-300 degrees till internal reaches around 115 degrees then let it rest for around 10-15 minutes while I stoke up the fire.

Then sear over the coals until it hits 125 degrees internal, then let it rest uncovered for 10 or 15 minutes.

Mine will carry over 7- 10 degrees higher during the rest.

If you like yours more or less done, just adjust the searing time.

As far as seasoning, use whatever you like on beef. SPOG, Montreal or a beef rub layered with a hot rub have all worked well for me.

I just toss them in the smoker at 225 until they are done. I don't sear and no one has ever complained. Recently added a Kamado Joe Jr and two tri tips fit perfect and the take about two hours...thinking I may pull some for this Sunday!

Reverse sear! Smoke or cook indirect over charcoal with a chunk of wood. When the IT hits 115ish then get the flame going and sear both sides until it’s 130-135. Let it rest and slice against the grain. Perfect medium rare.

8jrukPyl.jpg

:clap2:

I trim the fat cap off the bottom, lay the fat cap back over and smoke at 225 til IT is 110-115, then heat gas grill to 500 and sear on bottom rack for 1 min each side, take off tent and rest for 20min. Then slice against grain. It usually hits 130-135 when I start slicing. Experiment with Rubs Always a hit...:mrgreen:

Just cooked 48 tri tips yesterday. Smoked for about an hour to 120 to 130 degrees and reversed sear for a couple minutes. Season with Susie Q seasoning and your good. Direct over wood works great too, 20 minutes on each side then 10 minutes on the third side should be good. I do a 5 Mississippi for heat from the grate.

I'm a fan of the Santa Maria grill for tri tip, but in the absence thereof, the reverse sear is the way to go. Use red oak if you can get it.

Serve with a crusty bread and fresh pico de gallo. Top it off with a big red wine or a cold beer.

I'm hungry now...

Great pic on cutting against the grain. A lot of folks forget that the grain changes direction in a tritip.

Back