MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
ButtBonz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default What should I charge?

Hello all, I have a friend who owns a catering business but doesn't do bbq, and is getting requests for bbq. She has asked if I would cook Butts and brisket for their catered weddings and other events. Some of the events she wants me to cook on site. She offered to pay me $12 per lbs, plus $100 additional for cooking on site. Do you think this is a fair price?

Also for one of the events they want a whole hog cooked at $18 per pound plus $100 for on site.

For off site work she offered $10 per lb for pork $8 per lb for brisket.
ButtBonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Who is buying the meat? I think you can make more than what she is offering personally. Have you determined your cost for fuel, rubs, sauces, etc or she is paying for that and you are only paying for your time? Is that based on raw or cooked weight?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
ButtBonz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Dog BBQ View Post
Who is buying the meat? I think you can make more than what she is offering personally. Have you determined your cost for fuel, rubs, sauces, etc or she is paying for that and you are only paying for your time? Is that based on raw or cooked weight?
This is cooked weight. I buy meat, spices for the rubs and sauces which I make. The price she offered was for finished product plus $100 for cooking on site. I don't have to do anything except buy and cook. I'm not looking to get rich just want to be fair
ButtBonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would do a little local research, most BBQ places list their 'per pound' weight for pork and brisket. It would be worth a little driving to find out. The prices she is offering seem a little low if you are buying the meat retail, but, I do not live in VA.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
big brother smoke

$12 per lb. seems standard for brisky and Pulled pork. Now if we are talking ribs or prime rib to name a few that increases the cost.

For Example: You have a wedding of 100 guest. You will need 25lb. of cooked briskie and the same for PP. So, we are talking $700 minus expenses. For chits and giggles you are looking at 100lbs. of raw product at hypothetically $1.50 per LB.

Sooooo, $150 for meat; $20 worth of spices and $30 worth of fuel (again hypotheticallly speaking here) = $200 - 700 = $500

You just need to decide if $500 works for you.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I would talk about just charging them an hourly rate and they buy the product, you provide the rub, wood and smoker but just cook.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBonz View Post
I'm not looking to get rich just want to be fair

This business is about finance and product quality so concentrate on being honest not fair.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
UPNSMOKIN
Found some matches.

be careful comparing to prices at your local bbq joints. remember that she is the middle man in this deal and she needs to make a little profit as well, if you charge the going rate she will not get the work so neither will you. if all you have to do is pick up meats and smoke you should be able to turn a decent profit at the prices you listed. I would rather make a little less on a easy job than work twice as hard for just a little more.
Brett
UPNSMOKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Dont go cheap, it screws it up for the rest of us....
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
landarc

Now, I think everyone should be entitled to make a little profit on every job, and that is my point of looking at local charges. Yes, there are additional costs that a restaurant incurs, which makes a direct comparison difficult. On the other hand, unless you are a restaurant and have access to the meat sources and wholesale prices, you are paying more for your raw materials. Further, it is very common for caterers to get a little more for their food on-site for weddings and other events. I think it is good to see what they could pay for the meat if they were gonna pick it up themselves and factor in the fact that they want it brought to them.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

The offsite per pound seems backwards. Don't let brisket go for $8 dollars a pound.

You are delivering full pieces and she is preping them as well. right. Thats weighed whole not sliced. I think for a caterer to offer you that much its a deal. As was said she needs to make money too. Heck the onsite can be a dog a pony. Cook early and make smoke at the event. lol

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
bam
is One Chatty Farker

12$ a lb sounds good on and off site.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
The offsite per pound seems backwards. Don't let brisket go for $8 dollars a pound.
I agree this sounds backwards. It sounds like a good deal if you are selling a good amount of Q. I wouldn't do it if they only wanted just a lil Q. How much are they expecting to sell. Are they going to buy a minimum from you. For us to do an onsite I would have to have set a minimum amount for them to buy. Even if I have to bag and seal the leftovers.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
jestridge

Price aren't the same in all area. For instanc NYC will be much higher than Podunk Ky
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
DC-Q
Full Fledged Farker

Shouldn't the onsite cooking fee ($100) be adjusted by gig. If it's 50mi away it doesn't seem to me like $100 is worth it.