A little grease fire.

C

ckkphoto

Well, I am exaggerating when I say "little". Hot enough to melt the aluminum logo off the front. I was grilling, and flame caught the grease in the bottom of the smoke box. (been lazy and didn't clean it) The door was open a crack. when I came outside with the chicken, flame was 3 feet higher than the 'dera and the smokebox was warped so I couldn't shut the door.
My wife flipped out, while I calmly got the garden hose and cooled off the unit from the backside, which put out the flame since it couldn't sustain the heat. Then I got the door shut and damper shut which extinguished the rest of the grease fire. :oops: :shock: :oops:
Chicken was good. :shock:

I bet it's clean now! Had a similir incident last weekend when smoke-drying a batch of jalapeno's. I don't use the water pan when I'm smoke-drying. I just use a smaller fire. Well, I guess it didn't start out small enough because the smoke box got so hot it nearly started the lawn chair cushion on fire (located opposite side of the fire box; too lazy to remove from last winter). Smoke box temp gauge was registering around 350 at the time. Had I not been around, it could have been disasterous.

Bandera self-cleaning mod! :D

Grease fires are impressive -- I've scared the crap out of more than one restaurant employee while putting grill marks on prime rib --- whoo haw!! Flames to the vents!!! Good hot broiler and beef fat! :twisted:

Well......I don't feel so bad about my Mt. St. Helen's Towering Inferno Mod....

Sad thing is, gonna have to take the FLAMING BEAST to the carwash and pressure wash it out, sos I can use car jacks to unwarp it and repaint it...burnt off my 1000 deg paint job. Also need to replace the baffle that rusted out...if it had been there, I wouldn't have had a fire.
Too bad I don't have the skills to make an avatar with a bandera with flame coming out the smokebox and smoke coming out the fire box. :oops: (actually I am to ignorant to figure out how to use any avatars but what are listed on this site)
Gotta have the CHARBROILED dera fixed before this weekend--having another yard party.

lemme know if you need a hand. Have some wiggle room in the schedule.

ckkphoto said:
Well, I am exaggerating when I say "little". Hot enough to melt the aluminum logo off the front. I was grilling, and flame caught the grease in the bottom of the smoke box. (been lazy and didn't clean it) The door was open a crack. when I came outside with the chicken, flame was 3 feet higher than the 'dera and the smokebox was warped so I couldn't shut the door.
My wife flipped out, while I calmly got the garden hose and cooled off the unit from the backside, which put out the flame since it couldn't sustain the heat. Then I got the door shut and damper shut which extinguished the rest of the grease fire. :oops: :shock: :oops:
Chicken was good. :shock:

You grabbed the hose first?

You should have grabbed the camera so we could have pictures man! How selfish!

Pyromaniac Mod

Pyromaniac Mod

Believe it or not that was the first thing that crossed my mind. ( You know youre a brethren when...) But the wife freaking out mod put the kabosh on taking a picture. :? Thought about posting a picture of the melted aluminum logo. Might have to yet.

Man...I know the feeling!! if you'll do a search, you'll see that this EXACT thing happened to me not too long ago. wife panicked also! anyway, it did clean out the bottom of the smoke chamber!!
heh heh heh

robert

To anyone who HASN"T done the baffle mod, I feel this is its most important contribution. I am not aware of anyone having a grease fire with a baffle in place, but PLEASE corrrect me if I'm mistaken!

CK,
do you line your smoke chamber with foil and remove after each burn?

That is what I do, but I always assumed it was only people that didnt foil that had this problem and I didnt need to worry about it.

Just wondering

Nope, I never lined, but never had the problem cuz before I smoke I typically scrape out the insides of the smoker top to bottom. But I got lazy cuz I was grillin' and didn't think about smokebox grease.

Gotta have the CHARBROILED dera fixed before this weekend--having another yard party.

So how's the restoration coming? Were you able to get the warpage out?

I had (and have) a baffle in place when my grease fire occurred.

I also have the floor of the smoke chamber lined with foil.

What happened in my case is this:

- grease dripped from 100lbs of butts for 3 hours
- mowers showed up
- loaded up firebox with wood (apparently too much wood)
- went indoors to avoid mower noise
- FORGOT to take thermo remotes indoors
- firebox flames/heat somehow reached/ignited grease
- when spotted, remote probe was over 400!
- thermo on top of smoke chamber (probe in chamber)
read "hhh"

So, in a normal (I consider 100lb pork butts to not be
a normal situation...) smoke session the baffle should
help prevent smoke chamber grease fires. Also, keeping
the smoke chamber under, say 4000000000 degrees
should help too.

Pyromaniac Mod[/quote]

LMFAO

Got the dera repaired. No baffle though, cause the bolts are rusted over. Its good for a couple more years and then when it falls in a rust heap I will weld a new smoker from scratch. this weekend I cooked a pork tenderloin and the next day a brisket (fortunately no fire problems).
Its fixed but it don't LOOK pretty. Need to repaint the whole thing. Burnt the paint off half of the SMOKE BOX :oops: .

Back