Small Fair Idea

agold791

Found some matches.
Reaction score
My friend and I are working on getting a small catering business going and we have an opportunity to sell some bbq at a vfw craft fair. The problem is that, according to the rules, the food must be pre-packaged. My idea is this: 2 sliders (meat is vaccum sealed) and coleslaw. We can keep a bunch of these containers cold in a cooler. Is this a good idea? Any other ideas?

Will there be a way to heat the pork? If not, will people want to eat a cold pulled pork sandwich? I wonder if there is not some way you can get around that 'cold food' requirement.

We're still checking on whether we can heat the food. All the rules for this event are meant for traditional crafts, not food. We're hoping they are going to bend the rules a bit, but I'm looking at this as plan b

I'm treating it like bbq dinner in a box. The only thing the customer will have to do is heat up the meat by boiling water, and they have a damn good dinner

If they don't let you heat it, maybe selling pork by the pound and cole slaw by the tub will work better for folks looking to pick up a fast dinner.

According to who's rules? Pre packaged BBQ?
You have to have a licensed kitchen to pre pak meals and vacuum packing is usually a big no-no.
I'd check with your HD before wasting your time on this one.
From my experience, people don't go to craft shows looking to eat.

I agree with Bubba. I've been to a lot of craft shows with my wife over the years. If there's any food at all, it's usually snack food. People want to shop and then go out to eat at their favorite place, or to try their new place in town, etc. However, Landarc's idea might work - have something they can pick up and have later. But, then again, I've never tried to vend at a place like that....so, what do I know?
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the suggestions!! We're hoping this might be an avenue to make a couple of extra bucks on a quiet weekend.

We're hoping this might be an avenue to make a couple of extra bucks on a quiet weekend

Or loose a bunch of bucks, in Va that is a $2000 fine for every instance you get caught. Not to mention if someone gets sick or something else. I have found 1- Make HD happy, 2- make organizer happy with what they say you can sell, 3-cover my a$$ with insurance. If you make it through steps 1-3 then you get the chance to try to make a few bucks.

To be clear, I am not suggesting you work around the HD or the rules. I am suggesting asking the HD to look at your situation. I am a huge advocate of insurance.

Back