marinating ribs overnight

conroe85

Reaction score
got a couple of spare ribs for a rainy saturday. Wondering if anybody marinates their ribs overnight, or just rub it down with some dry rub a few hours before smoking? also, any good recipes for some rib moppin' sauce? Thanks

Last edited:
I have marinaded ribs in dr pepper once over night. Now I just rubbed them down and smoke them.

I just rub them, go light the fire, let it heat up, throw them on. Total rub time usually less than an hour.

i don't think many here marinade their ribs, but that's not to say you can't. I would say remove the membrane first so you get max marinade penetration.
I'm not much of a rib guy other than beef short ribs and pork rib tips, you will get a lot of flavor without overpowering the pork taste if you just use rub and leave overnight.
Did you have a marinade in mind?
As for a spraying or mopping sauce, I like to go with something that is a mix of hot and sweet and a little sour.
A favorite of mine is Coke, some apple cider vingar, and cayenne. Sugar in the coke gives color and flavor, vinegar gives a little tang, and cayenne will play back up with some heat. I use this once in awhile on butts mostly.
Welcome!

thanks for the quick responses! I was just curious if somebody was doing it different. I will try that mopping sauce also. I will run em down tonight and sit them in the fridge till tomorrow.

I have tried various marinades and brines and can say that if you add any significant amount of salt, you get hammy ribs (in my book, not a good thing) if you go for more than a few hours. I normally just rub, get smoker settled in and cook em.

I peel the back membrane, slather and rub the night before, then put on a platter in a big plastic bag in the refrigerator overnight. I pull them early in the morning before I start the fire in the cooker. I sometimes "touch up" the rub in the morning. Ribs IMO don't need marinating, not pork ribs anyway. Beef ribs I don't even try to remove the membrane, I just don't seem to have the skills.

Beef short ribs are a totally different matter. I generally don't even smoke those - I braise 'em.

seattlepitboss

I have tried various marinades and brines and can say that if you add any significant amount of salt, you get hammy ribs (in my book, not a good thing) if you go for more than a few hours. I normally just rub, get smoker settled in and cook em.

That's what I do.

Echo that...

I've done ribs both ways; overnight marinade, and just rubbed and into the smoke.

Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference so I've just gone to rubbing them right before they go in.

Good luck!

Rub bout hour before putting on cooker. Salt will bring moisture out, so right before I put on cooker put on little more rub to dry the surface of the meat. I make a mixture of apple juice, cider vinegar, and some of my rub and cook it down. After ribs have been on the cooker for awhile will check them to see if they are starting to weep. If they are I will hit them with the mop and another sprinkling of the rub. I do that probally 3 times during cooking .

marinade in pineapple juice, a little bit of apple cider vinegar, some fresh garlic cloves, a few splashes of worcestershire.. Then use some honey chipotle BBQ

I slather them with EVOO and then rub them before putting them into the fridge for an overnight stay and then start smokin them in the morning. Let the rub saturate into the meat.

I pull the membrane, slather them with mustard, apply a more sweet vs. spicy rub and then crumble a little bit of brown sugar over the top of my rub and then wrap in saran wrap and then again with foil the night before. The brown sugar with the mustard and the rub kind of turn into a wet marinade and add some really awesome flavors. Touch up with rub right before they go on. I throw them on around 7:30 in the morning and cook for about 3-1/2 to 4 hours uncovered at 225 spritzing with apple juice every hour. Wrap with foil for an additional 45 minutes and then glaze em over with sauce uncovered and give it about 15 minutes for the sauce to set up. In my opinion it does make a difference.

thanks for the quick responses! I was just curious if somebody was doing it different. I will try that mopping sauce also. I will run em down tonight and sit them in the fridge till tomorrow.

I'm marinating some as we speak! 4parts apple juice 1 part apple cider vinegar, 1 beer, 1/2 cup molasses, 2 tbs of the rub you'll use. pull off the membrane, and soak in marinade overnight. the next day pat dry and put your rub on, one hour prior to cooking.

I've tried it both ways and to me, the spares are more tender when you marinate them. Good luck

in the barbq resturant I worked in as a teen, we had a simple marinade overnight. dumped it out and let them sit for a while to air dry a bit then threw them on the pit in the morning early to be ready by 11:00am.

Back