MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #12631
JackMonroe
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Making my first uds. If I can do it, it will prove that anybody can. Here's my question: I drilled my holes in the barrel and today did a burn out, a raging inferno that lasted about 3 hours. Almost all the paint is off and the inside has a serious char. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning up the outside a bit and painting it. Do I really need to clean up the inside? My barrel didn't have a lining, and although it said the inside was sprayed with a rust inhibiter, it didn't seem to be much of one. A week after I got it some rust started showing up inside the barrel. I just fine it hard to believe that after that kind of burn there could be anything harmful left on the inside. If it's important I'll clean it out, but it seems like an awful lot of work for nothing. Thoughts?
JackMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #12632
tbrtt1
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfj40 View Post
I've read the first 500 pages of this awesome thread.
Thanks to the "If a redneck wanted to build..." thread and other ideas in this monster thread, I built my first UDS. Obviously I got a little carried away.
All thats left is some wood on the shelf brackets and a bottle opener.

The basket was made by rolling the expanded metal around a propane tank and and welded to a 16" pizza pan. The bottom is a charcoal grate from an smaller kettle.

The wheels, one of the grates, and the lid, all came from a new 22.5" kettle I purchased from Craigslist. I welded top 2" off the bottom of the kettle to the drum for the lid to mate to. I have two grates sitting on three stainless bolts just below the lid and 6" down.

The handle and the hinge where both made from scratch. The Hinge doubles as a handle to lean the drum back on the wheels and move it around.

I used High Temp grommets from Grainger to run the probes from a Maverick ET-73 to the inside. It didn't look like a UDS without the analog temp gauge on the front so I added that just for looks and a back up reference point.

My son gets credit for the awesome paint job.

The first two cooks, ( a Fatty then a Picnic ) turned out good, but the Wife wasn't fond of the taste.

For the third cook I did some ribs but switched from Kingsford briquettes to Royal Oak Lump. Although I had a little more trouble holding a steady temp with the Lump, she liked the taste a lot better. The ribs were about 6 hours with just a few spritzes with apple juice and I did not foil. I think they turned out pretty good.

I may experiment with a diffuser to see how that affects the taste.

My wife thinks its hilarious as I have never cooked more than frozen pizza until now.

Wow! What a nice build. I am impressed.
tbrtt1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #12633
defence18
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMonroe View Post
Making my first uds. If I can do it, it will prove that anybody can. Here's my question: I drilled my holes in the barrel and today did a burn out, a raging inferno that lasted about 3 hours. Almost all the paint is off and the inside has a serious char. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning up the outside a bit and painting it. Do I really need to clean up the inside? My barrel didn't have a lining, and although it said the inside was sprayed with a rust inhibiter, it didn't seem to be much of one. A week after I got it some rust started showing up inside the barrel. I just fine it hard to believe that after that kind of burn there could be anything harmful left on the inside. If it's important I'll clean it out, but it seems like an awful lot of work for nothing. Thoughts?
If yours didn't have a liner, most guys just washed it out with a power washer or taken to a car wash to use theirs, then seasoned asap to avoid rust. If seasoning isn't an option, spray with cooking spray.

If you're worried about the interior rust after the burn, well personally I'd just make sure that whatever I coat the inside with to season (I used bacon grease) I'd hit the rust spot extra hard to make sure it got a good coating over it. But that's just me. The one take away I had from this thread is that everyone's comfort levels are different.

Last edited by defence18; 05-28-2016 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Add quote for context
defence18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #12634
JackMonroe
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Def, thanks for the reply. Not worried about rust on the inside. I buffed out what little there was right before the burn out. Just want to make sure I don't end up making noxious Q.
JackMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #12635
wdpope1
Got Wood.

I found me a Weber grill on the curb bottom rotten lid good doesn't fit My 1st UDS but fits another drum I have
Time for another build
FYI I am still looking for oak skids to build a wood lid
wdpope1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #12636
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

A wood lid!!!
Could you elaborate on that please.
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #12637
dman1
Got rid of the matchlight.

I ve seen a lot of very nice drums, i found the brethren a few years ago and have never posted. I made a drum about 2 years ago and is very happy with it once seeing how it holds perfect temps. Always have to keep feeding my off smoker. Dont know kow to post pics, just want to say thank you all for teaching me. Darryl
dman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #12638
wdpope1
Got Wood.

BSTOMPER
I asked awhile back if anyone had done one and was advised to post pictures .I am a carpenter with years of experience but limited funds for some 5/4 Oak to make a flat lid
planning on putting a deep v groove hopping the weight will create a good seal
not sure yet what style of smoke stack

Last edited by wdpope1; 06-10-2016 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: hit wrong button before finishing explaination
wdpope1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #12639
Imp81318

Can anybody tell if this barrel has the dreaded liner or if it is just painted on the inside? The description says it was used to ship "food product, contents was in plastic bags". The listing specifically says for use as ugly drum smoker, but I don't put much stock in that...

Imp81318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #12640
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

got to love that red liner!!!! have fun with it.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #12641
Ramiro0727
Got Wood.

Use a weed burner to burn it out. I done that to a few of them and it has worked really well.

Ramiro
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #12642
Imp81318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novass View Post
got to love that red liner!!!! have fun with it.
I haven't bought the drum yet, that's why I asked. I was hoping that since the contents were in a plastic bag, maybe this drum was just painted inside rather than having a liner...

Oh well, I'll just keep looking for a better drum. I can find plenty of drums that had motor oil in them, but I live in a development and can not imagine my neighbors being ok with me burning motor oil in my back yard...
Imp81318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #12643
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp81318 View Post
I haven't bought the drum yet, that's why I asked. I was hoping that since the contents were in a plastic bag, maybe this drum was just painted inside rather than having a liner...

Oh well, I'll just keep looking for a better drum. I can find plenty of drums that had motor oil in them, but I live in a development and can not imagine my neighbors being ok with me burning motor oil in my back yard...
Drain it as well as possible, scrub it out with dish soap, and do an empty burn when it's finished to play with the heat settings. That should do it.
Or take it to a carwash and use soap.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #12644
Ron S
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Waitin' on a call back right now to pick up my first drum. I ordered grommets, an ET73 thermometer and a step bit on ebay last night. Skipped around on this thread and found the Redneck post and decided to just keep it simple and follow Norcorednecks advice. I'm gonna put this thing together and get me some chickens and smoke some of those babies up. I also found N8mans guide on how to fire this thing up so as soon as I'm around long enough I'll post some pics of how my build turned out and what those chicks looked like out of the UDS.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #12645
Grumpy the Elder
Found some matches.

I recently added longer 6" legs to my UDS and put a 4th inlet with a control valve that gives me more air (higher heat when needed) and allows me to drain grease drippings from Pork butts. This way I can do 6 butts at a time and have a much easier clean-up.
And on the subject, with the center opening in the bottom, I get more economical burn. I did 6 butts, smoked for 11 hours and used only 7 lb. of the 12 lb. of charcoal (Lump with 3 chunks pecan and 3 chunks cherry)
I believe the 4 greatest inventions of the 20th century are Velcro, duct tape, supper glue and the UDS. Grumpy
Grumpy the Elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker