• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pulled pork for 90

K-Train

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Been asked to do a wedding for 80-90 people. Probably pulled hicken and pork. How much do you figure I'd need of each?

Big eaters, little eaters? Women and children, more men? How many sides?

I have a sheet I use for cooking for some events I do. If I planned for 90 heads with 120 1/4lb cooked servings (60 of each) I would be at 25lbs raw pork (about 3 butts) and 37.5 lbs of raw whole chickens (about 7.5) figuring 60% yield on the pork and 40% yield on the birds.

Not sure on the "big eaters" good question, something I hadn't thought about. This would be my first time doing something this large. Also meant to ask how much would you charge?

Need more info for price. But a good rule of thumb is 3 x cost. That includes any sides, paper products, items used during prep and equipment that is rented.

That's always the rub isn't it. Pun intended :grin:

I'm not a caterer, so I don't charge anything more than my costs. I only do this for church and neighborhood events that I'm involved with. But I'd been looking at potentially catering and so I've always tracked my costs for cooks over the years. You'll need to do the same to really know your cost. I know the cost of how much charcoal per cooker, how much wood, how much disposables (foil by the foot, gloves per use, pans, lids) how much consumables (rub by the oz, mustard, juice, etc). All that goes into my cost. I haven't updated my costs this year though with some of the rise in prices and you prices will be different than mine here.

For me though, with tax I'd expect my expenses to be about $165. What you would want to charge is a bit up to you, a flat charge or a per person charge.

The other thing I would think about is, especially if this is your first big event cook, things definitely go wrong. I've gotten into a groove now with big cooks, as others have, but I did that with some low pressure things. I'd be concerned that this is someone's wedding and the first time you'd be doing it. Keeping food hot, how to serve it, making sure no one gets sick. Things to consider.

editted to add:
That would be my expected cost for meat, in pans, served with buns and sauce.

Last edited:
I would say 20 pounds of each finished product. That will give you 60 sandwhiches each. You will have some left over. If you want to cut it close do 15 pounds finished of each.

I just served Pulled pork and chopped chicken to a wedding party of 250. We had very few people go through the line twice, we had an equal number eat big as ate small. The crowd served themselves, and we refilled chafers. The crowd ate an equal amount of pork and chicken. We served out about 35 pounds of each, as well as sides of cheese potatoes and baked beans. The wedding party provided cheese, chips, dip, and a handful of side salads.

We had wonderful reviews and picked up a client who just booked us for 200 people the 6th of April.

I live in pork is king country so I would still figure 5oz pp and maybe 3oz pp for the pulled chicken.

Back