MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-01-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow! What a day! The weather held out for the most part, which was a good thing!!!

We got to meet a lot of new people, put names and faces together. We ran into KC right off the bat. He had scoped out a few spots already. We met Jim Minion and Ray Lampe (Dr. BBQ). JM is about as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet. Same with Buzz and his lovely wife, we had a great visit with him. Forgot to take his picture, and I'm sorry for that. We talked with several teams we had competed against this summer at the Boone County Fair. Most of them remember us right off the bat, which really made us feel good, face and name recognition after one cook off couldn't keep me from feeling very proud.

JM had a decent finish in the overall, I think it was 26th. Our buddies, 3 Little Pigs, (that have a table full of AR trophies), and 63 Diner, had a pretty rough go of it. Judging in the invitational seemed to be extremely tough, if I remember correctly the highest score I can remember was like 174 and that was in the brisket catagory.

We went by to see Bill Arnold of Blues Hog fame, and he immediately asked us if we wanted to stay overnight and cook with him. What a great honor to be asked, and if I didn't have to open on Sat. morning it probably wouldn't have taken much arm twisting for us to stay! (OK maybe a little for BellyBro, ;) )

We never bought a drink the whole time we were there, we were well taken care of. We did buy some tokens so we could try some "Texas" brisket. Didn't even come close to what we can turn out.

Pictures to follow. KC, hope you took more than I did! I got to busy visiting!

Forgot to tell you we ran into a guy that was cooking on what appeared to be an original NB Bandera. I asked how he liked it and what mods he had done, he said it was just given to him 2 days before. KC and I sprang into action, and came to his rescue! We had him making a temporary baffle out of foil and a heat shield from a shelf and foil. The guy was very receptive, soaking it all in cause he KNEW he'd come across a couple of guys that knew what they were talking about.

All in all, I bet we saw 25-30 Banderas at the AR.

Next year, The Belly Brothers are comin' to kick ass! Get ready Kansas City!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2004, 10:28 PM   #2
Solidkick

Belly Brother II, Jim Minion, and BellyBro at the American Royal

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

Old 10-01-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
Solidkick

3 Little Pigs table full of American Royal trophies.

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

Old 10-01-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
Solidkick

What I think is an original NB Bandera..........I may be wrong.

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

Old 10-02-2004, 07:09 AM   #5
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

To those who have never been, this event is unlike anything you can imagine. I can only attempt to describe it as, "what would happen if Woodstock and Mardi Gras had a baby that loved BBQ and grew to cover 20 acres". This is the Mecca of BBQ.
In the area that was predominately "open contestants" every 5th space or so had a substantial sound system, every 10th space or so had an out right stage setup. I saw as many kegs of beer as bags of charcoal!
Start making plans now to attend next year. Simply Farkin' Awesome!!!
Kick, when you get time, post the pic of the Frankensmoker and the mod'd Backyard 'dera.
I got pic's of Buzz and Jim, will post them a bit later.
One other observation, Q folk are absolutely the friendliest people on the planet. Every place we even so much as slowed down people said, "Hey, how you doin'" , they answered every question, offered beer or food at every turn.
Jim, was a real pleasure to meet you. Buzz, what can I say Brother except thanks for the hospitality, it was a treat to meet you and the Mrs. and what awesome farking spares! Kick, BellyBro, and BellyBro II, I had another great time hanging with y'all, just one question. Did you go home with the chicken cooker?
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2004, 07:40 AM   #6
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Top photo is Jim Minion giving us a taste of some awesome rub, Jim what was that stuff and where can we get some?

Below is Buzz (2Fat) prepping pork butts.

Old 10-02-2004, 07:48 AM   #7
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Unique cooker pics

Old 10-02-2004, 09:21 AM   #8
Arlin_MacRae

Awesome, Kick! That picture of the 'original NB Bandera'...was that a custom name plate on the door? I've got a Made in America 'Dera and it doesn't have that, so either the guy put something original on the door or that is something older. Glad to hear that there were so many 'Deras at the competition. It gives me warm fuzzies to know my rig isn't something to hide in the back yard. <grin>
And those trophies...WOW! Guess I need to put another couple thousand hours into Q'in' and start going to these things!

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2004, 09:28 AM   #9
parrothead

Sounds like a blast. Hope to make it next year.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2004, 09:37 AM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Awesome, Kick! That picture of the 'original NB Bandera'...was that a custom name plate on the door? I've got a Made in America 'Dera and it doesn't have that, so either the guy put something original on the door or that is something older.
Arlin
I Think(and believe the memeory is shot).. I think that was an Oklahoma Joe smoker.. If memory server right, years ago New Braunfels either bought the Bandera from Oklahoma Joes, or just like Brinkman witht he smoke king, copied a design and marketed it. It looks like an OJ logo on that door though.

but whats with the patio block?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #11
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

NB did buy OJ

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2004, 01:30 PM   #12
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Awesome, Kick! That picture of the 'original NB Bandera'...was that a custom name plate on the door? I've got a Made in America 'Dera and it doesn't have that, so either the guy put something original on the door or that is something older.
Arlin
I Think(and believe the memeory is shot).. I think that was an Oklahoma Joe smoker.. If memory server right, years ago New Braunfels either bought the Bandera from Oklahoma Joes, or just like Brinkman witht he smoke king, copied a design and marketed it. It looks like an OJ logo on that door though.

but whats with the patio block?
Quote:
NB did buy OJ
OK, that clarifies it! I DID see 1 Bandera with an Oklahoma Joes metal engraved nameplate, so I guess that one would be the original. I figured it was a knock off of the original, kinda like the Brinkman. The one in the picture had the NB nameplate painted on, but it was a stenciled factory job, not something an owner would do . I think the concrete block was to take the "spring" out of the sprung firebox lid. (I have to be careful to not be judgemental here and give the guy a break, the cooker was new to him, and we invited him to check out this board to help him with his futures cooks.)

Another good one to share......KC and I are walking down this long row of cookers and KC says " Hey I think that's Paul Kirk's cooker and van, I seen them on TV when they got stolen a few months back". Sure enough, walk up to the cooker and there's this engraved plate on it "custom made for Paul Kirk by Dave Klose". Now, the amazing thing......KC identifed Kirk's cooker from about 35 yards away!!!!!!!!!!
What an eye!!!

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

Old 10-02-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
Solidkick

Quote:
Kick, when you get time, post the pic of the Frankensmoker and the mod'd Backyard 'dera.

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

Old 10-02-2004, 01:39 PM   #14
Solidkick

Quote:
Kick, when you get time, post the pic of the Frankensmoker and the mod'd Backyard 'dera.]

Belly Brothers BBQ Team

Old 10-02-2004, 02:07 PM   #15
Solidkick

Quote:
Did you go home with the chicken cooker?
I couldn't get that cute little filly to come down even $10.00 on the price! We went back and talked to her like 3 times! LOL Finally, her sister says "we might be able to throw in a $3.00 bag of wood chips".
The Belly Brothers sure got a kick out of that! If I remember correctly, that cooker is made by the Amish out east. I asked what shipping would be for one and the sister said "around $200.00" I guess I have to pay for the shipping to them and then to me! Guys, the legs come off the chicken cooker and fits in the trunk of your car, and they wanted $200.00 for shipping? No way Jose!!

http://www.alphae-sales.com/index.ph...=1&prevstart=0

Belly Brothers BBQ Team