BIGGEST Small meal EVER!

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK, so I thought you guys would appreciate this one... A little back story here. I was at my butcher picking up some shoulders for some hams I'm working on and I see him breaking down some beef rounds with some huge femur bones... So I of course asked him for one of them. This is what became of it, and DAMN it was good!

I've always wanted to try doing bone marrow on the smoker, so tonight I decided to give it a go. I did up a parsley salad topping with lime, shallots, salt, black pepper, garlic, pepper flakes, capers and some EVOO. Then seasoned the cut bones with my beef rub (some bones even had some extra meat as a bonus :thumb:) Hot smoked them (350-400) for just under an hour with almond wood, spread it on some sliced & toasted french baguettes, and topped if off with a touch of salt and the parsley salad. The flavor was amazing... So rich! Like beef butter! Definitely something I'll be doing again... just not for now! This can't be all that healthy for you! :shock::becky::thumb: Now I'm sure this isn't for everyone, my wife looked on me like I was crazy when I pulled out the marrow. :heh: But man... oh so good! :thumb:

Cheers

Attachments

• screen-capture-664.jpg
    screen-capture-664.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 658
  • screen-capture-665.jpg
    screen-capture-665.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 655
  • screen-capture-666.jpg
    screen-capture-666.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 654
  • screen-capture-667.jpg
    screen-capture-667.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 656
  • screen-capture-669.jpg
    screen-capture-669.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 414
  • screen-capture-670.jpg
    screen-capture-670.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 653
  • screen-capture-671.jpg
    screen-capture-671.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 651
  • screen-capture-672.jpg
    screen-capture-672.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 653
  • screen-capture-673.jpg
    screen-capture-673.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 654
Now THAT is one of the true "OMFG" experiences you can have. Phrasty, that is something so special. MAN!

Mmmm...so much ideas,such little time!
Looks like a Pheast Phrasty!

Looks dawn good to me what is the taste and texture like?

What is the taste comparable to?

The taste and texture was not really what you'd expect. It does have a real condensed rich beefy buttery flavor, but on the flip side it melted away in the mouth & wasn't offensively lingering at all. A bit on the oily side as expected, but thats what the toast and parsley salad with lime/lemon is for... to cut the oil a little. It wasn't "greasy" by any means. It didn't coat my mouth in a thick film. It was very pleasant. I can see what all the fuss is about in the fine dining world. Definitely one of those foods that if you like this kinda thing is a real treat. :thumb:

Cheers

Nicely done, so I take it first time for marrow? I have never had it smoked and was gonna ask how it compared. Not a huge marrow fan, but, it is a special occasion food.

Marrow is good stuff. Most times I've had it in beef soups. Gotta give that a try. I'd hit that!!

Bob

I'm beginnig to wonder what smoked marrow stuffed into chicken breasts may taste like??? Thanks for the ide.

BTW, how are you turning shoulders into hams?

Marrow is good stuff. Most times I've had it in beef soups. Gotta give that a try. I'd hit that!!

Bob

Thanks Bob, that's why I've been meaning to do this. I use beef shanks in my soups all the time and the marrow is always the best part. :heh:

BTW, how are you turning shoulders into hams?

I guess I used the word ham loosely. I meant Christmas hams. I'm brining & smoking them. :thumb:

Cheers

Looks like something I would love to try and I will in the future...Thanks

Back