Planning your competition season.

BigBobBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
when planning what events you are going to attend do you plan your whole season ahead of time or do you plan on a monthly basis. The reason I ask is to see if anyone is planning on attending the Smokin on the Suwannee event this year in July in Live Oak, Florida. I live there and while not competing, (still not good enough yet) I would love to visit with some brethren teams and learn what competition cooking is all about, and get some experience in how things operate if possible. I look forward to meeting any of the brethren teams that will be there and getting to say howdy.

Lang bbq smokers will be there.im sure damon puts on a great event.look forward to meeting you.

There is usually a pretty good number of Brethren there competing, me included. Damon puts on a top notch contest and has teams on waiting lists.

I'm there. Stop on by, always got a coldie ready to go. Damon's is one of my favorite events as that is the very first event I ever went to. Met the Kap'n there.

I pretty much plan all my events as much in advance as possible. That way I can start budgeting the money way early. It helps to cut down on what I call 'wallet shock'. I think right now I'm planned out to sometime in August.

Russ

Last edited:
when planning what events you are going to attend do you plan your whole season ahead of time or do you plan on a monthly basis.

Both. :becky: We plan out and sign up for key events early, and then add a few more during the year.

when planning what events you are going to attend do you plan your whole season ahead of time or do you plan on a monthly basis.

While we have signed up for our first four contests this year, we have a theoretical plan for the balance of the year. Actually signing up for the balance of the events is going to be based on a monetary decision.

I set the number of competitions I want to to in my year (this year is 5, slight chance on 6) and then I see what fits. I like to do at least one per month.

and while not competing, (still not good enough yet)

Brother.. I don't know that any of us thought we were "good enough yet". If I was waiting on that, I'd probably still be on the sidelines..

Jump in, the water is fine and you will meet some great folks who will make the experience one you won't forget.

My wife and I discuss our catering and vending schedules and plan my contest schedule accordingly. Last year we planned 10. This year we planned 10. Last year we cooked 19.........

We have our local favorites that we like to do every season...then there are new events that pop up here and there that we look in to. We try to make one event back east every year...the Jack, the Royal, Memphis in May...etc. My wife and I start planning our season the day after the current one is over...:mrgreen: Hope to see ya out there sometime! :thumb:

Back