• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tru-Value has Cowboy Sale all of May

I have only ever burned Royal Oak in my Kamado Joe, because I can get it year round, and it is pretty affordable. 17.6 pounds for 11.00 (.625/lb). I usually buy about 5-6 bags at a time. I nearly always find 1-2 rocks, or 1-2 pcs of insulation in the bags. My theory on smaller unusable pcs in the bag is due to retail handling. I figure the majority of it is stocked by younger minimum wage high school students. I dont expect them to be gentle, and the bags dont say "fragile" anywhere.

I am not sure there is a perfect charcoal out there, and everyone has an opinion. I do like the way Royal Oak performs, but to be fair, I havent compared it to anything else when it comes to cooking.

I have only ever burned Royal Oak in my Kamado Joe, because I can get it year round, and it is pretty affordable. 17.6 pounds for 11.00 (.625/lb). I usually buy about 5-6 bags at a time. I nearly always find 1-2 rocks, or 1-2 pcs of insulation in the bags. My theory on smaller unusable pcs in the bag is due to retail handling. I figure the majority of it is stocked by younger minimum wage high school students. I dont expect them to be gentle, and the bags dont say "fragile" anywhere.

I am not sure there is a perfect charcoal out there, and everyone has an opinion. I do like the way Royal Oak performs, but to be fair, I havent compared it to anything else when it comes to cooking.

If Royal Oak is the only lump you have used for cooking you should give Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Blend a try. I have never gotten any rocks or insulation in the bags, the pieces are bigger than Royal Oak, and there are no scrap wood pieces turned to lump. It also burns almost twice as long which gives you longer cook times. The downside is that it is expensive on the front end ($20 for 20lbs) but you compare the number of cooks you do with Wicked Good to the number of cooks you get with Royal Oak and the money evens out.

I am trying Cowboy for the first time, as I have heard it has changed for the better. It it gets up to par with Royal Oak or better for $9 for 20lbs it will be worth it for me.

After I run out of my 4 bags of Weekend Warrior I will have to try out other lumps such as Kamado Joe and Lazari.

I picked up 3 bags to give it a go and see if the quality is up from the past. $9 for 20lb bag of lump is a pretty good deal.

The barcode/sku on the ad is different that what the local Lowes had. They gave me the price match but didn't give me the 10% discount, which didn't bother me at all.

Allegedly, according to an e-mail I received when I complained last year, the charcoal produced in the US is lump from trees / branches. The charcoal produced in Mexico is made from construction scraps. How true this is I don't know. I don't even know if the bag lists where they are made. Maybe that's the difference in the barcode/sku???

Allegedly, according to an e-mail I received when I complained last year, the charcoal produced in the US is lump from trees / branches. The charcoal produced in Mexico is made from construction scraps. How true this is I don't know. I don't even know if the bag lists where they are made. Maybe that's the difference in the barcode/sku???

I'll have to pull a bag open tomorrow, as I'm too tired and lazy to do it tonight and see what it has and if there is a place where it is made.

I got my in town Ace Hardware to match the True Value price. I had to show them a link to an actual TV store as they wouldn't accept the True Value site ad since it said online and at participating stores, so I had to show them a participating store and it was a done deal. I only bought 2 bags until I see what it's like. I have never used Cowboy. The bags feel like there are some decent pieces in there, not like the Wicked Good at Ocean State Job Lot that feels like small crushed pieces.

I went to one Tru Value at lunch by my work, a classic old time hardware store with stuff hanging from every nook and cranny.

They dont carry it.

I would have no idea where they would put it if they did LOL

So on the way home I went to the Tru Value by my house that has a large BBQ dept, they even carry Traegers.

I have seen it there before so I knew they would have it.

Sold out. The truck from the warehouse was being unloaded so he told me there was plenty of it on the truck, to come back in a few hours.

So at least I know this back will be the fresh, new stuff.

I will buy one bag, see what its like. If its good, I will stock up

I forgot to add, the Cowboy from Ace was from Mexico. Is it all from Mexico or does the quality vary depending on where it's from.

I forgot to add, the Cowboy from Ace was from Mexico. Is it all from Mexico or does the quality vary depending on where it's from.

Bob

the bag that I did get the other day from Tru Value was made in the US. I think this was an older bag from the looks of it. Its made with mill scraps.

I think the Mexico stuff is the new improved lump.

When I go buy the stuff that just came in, I am going to check to see where it was made before I buy it.

Bob

the bag that I did get the other day from Tru Value was made in the US. I think this was an older bag from the looks of it. Its made with mill scraps.

I think the Mexico stuff is the new improved lump.

When I go buy the stuff that just came in, I am going to check to see where it was made before I buy it.

Thanks. I think I'll open up a bag a bit later and see what it looks like. Between this and the 2 discount bags of Wicked Good, I've got charcoal chips and dust all over the place. :biggrin1: I've been breathing too much charcoal dust.

Thanks. I think I'll open up a bag a bit later and see what it looks like. Between this and the 2 discount bags of Wicked Good, I've got charcoal chips and dust all over the place. :biggrin1: I've been breathing too much charcoal dust.

congrats

I now pronounce you a fellow Lump Slut!!!

welcome aboard!!!

I bought a bag when I saw the now longer lasting post not long ago and liked it. Just happend to stop at TV on the way home and grabbed another bag to cook dinner with. Definitely not the same beast. I will be "stalking" :p up for the year at this price. Less fireworks than RO. Good timing cause my Wal-fart does not carry RO this year.

I got 4 bags at Lowes for $8.09 a bag with the price match and additional 10% discount. The lady at customer service couldnt believe it was so cheap. I never used the old cowboy based on what I had read here and elsewhere. I hope this new stuff is decent. I favor Royal Oak, but at tHat price, it was worth the risk. I will give it a go this week, and if I like it, I will go buy more.

I've had pretty good luck with Cowboy but had a bag last time with two rocks. I still bought several bags at this price.

I don't understand why more people don't have Lowes or HD price match you get an extra 10% off and many times they are closer. I did try to get a local Ace Hardware to match the True-Value price but they said no go. Ace has it on sale for $11.99. When I told him T-V had it for $8.99 he immediately went to his computer to look it up. He acted very surprised and said they pay about $10 per bag and he could not match.

I don't understand why more people don't have Lowes or HD price match you get an extra 10% off and many times they are closer.

In a situation like this, I'd rather give a little extra coin to a local Mom and Pop franchisee, especially one that is extremely helpful/friendly every time I go in.

I don't understand why more people don't have Lowes or HD price match you get an extra 10% off and many times they are closer. I did try to get a local Ace Hardware to match the True-Value price but they said no go. Ace has it on sale for $11.99. When I told him T-V had it for $8.99 he immediately went to his computer to look it up. He acted very surprised and said they pay about $10 per bag and he could not match.

I went to my closest True Value and was told they weren't a participation dealer, but if I had printed the ad, they would have done the price match. Since it is about 15 miles away, I wasn't going back again. I went to my nearest Lowes, and they didn't have any. My Home Depot only has the smaller bags. My in town Ace is about 3 miles away and did the price match. If I had a brain in my head I would have gone there first instead of wasting gas and time driving about 50 miles round trip to the other stores. :biggrin1:

the way I look at it, since TV had the sale, I would give them the opportunity of the sale first.

If they did not have the sale, none of us would be buying through the ad at that price from anyone

If they were out, then I would go to HD or Lowes. And I would rather give my biz to the locally owned store anyway

you can get El Diablo 40 lb bags from Costco or Sams club right now for $11.50... better quality than even the new cowboy and cheaper

In a situation like this, I'd rather give a little extra coin to a local Mom and Pop franchisee, especially one that is extremely helpful/friendly every time I go in.

This is also why I bought at Tru Valu instead of going to Lowes. Yes I could have saved 80 cents on the 6 bags I bought, but I would rather support a locally owned business

Back