MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
JKCDN
Got Wood.

Default Used Assassin 28 - What do you think?

$1200 Used Assassin 28 for sale in California. I have a small but growing catering business and love the capacity and the brand but don't have any experience with this type of cooker. What do you think about the condition? the bottom area looks dark (fire?). Don't mind renting a power-washer and re-seasoning but that's a lot of money for me.

Appreciate any input on the condition and price. Very hard to find quality cabinet smokers for under $1500 out here California.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I’d get it.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Condition looks a little rough but that wouldn't stop me. I woulda picked it up today...
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
slackdogbbq
Full Fledged Farker

If solid overall Buy, Buy, Buy,! Yes, pressure clean. Gaskets easy to replace if needed. Gravity fed will work well for your needs.

Just my Tequila brain talking.
slackdogbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
JKCDN
Got Wood.

So I'm looking for rust and weld breaks? Trying to figure out what a "red flag" would be.

Someone just posted a Chubs 3400 for $600 so maybe it's my lucky day :)

Old 06-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Offer $900. Pull out the cash and sniff it and then flap it in the air. Make sure it is all 100’s. They will bite!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

that is a great price even if it needs a little tlc .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

It's seen some use, and I see a few dings next to the fire box. From the pics, no "gotchas" that I can see. The door gasket looks in good shape, but the the fire box gasket is frayed and can be replaced......it might work fine until you get a chance to replace it. It just needs a good cleaning / re-seasoning and it will be ready to rock. If you intend to use it for catering, I think you're not out for shiny new looks and glossy photos. A little TLC and it's good to go.

I don't cook professionally or compete, but I do cook a lot on mine. Assassin is a real deal high quality cooker.

$1200 for a 28 is about 1/3 of the new price.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS

Last edited by Smoking Piney; 06-06-2018 at 07:37 PM..
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
JKCDN
Got Wood.

Updated photo showing the chute (ouch) and it doesn't include the pitmaster iq120. Can anyone comment on the photo? Is that repairable? I'm thinking around $800 now.....

Old 06-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #10
scribe9154
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've seen that on listed. It's a bit rough, but I do think you can clean it up. I bought new when I got my 24 last October and absolutely love it.
scribe9154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
OlyQ
Full Fledged Farker

pretty normal of the chute to look like that...

That's a steal of a deal.. but if you are thinking about transporting for on site catering , they are a pain to move around.
*Da-Fridge-Smoker
*BlackStone Pizza Oven
OlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #12
JKCDN
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe9154 View Post
I've seen that on listed. It's a bit rough, but I do think you can clean it up. I bought new when I got my 24 last October and absolutely love it.
Took a look today you were right. The photos scared me a little but it person this thing is a tank! I need to place it close to a wooden fence. How close is safe? I cook at 300f max, does it get hot to the touch?
JKCDN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
kingjman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Offer $900. Pull out the cash and sniff it and then flap it in the air. Make sure it is all 100’s. They will bite!

Yup, just like good Q...presentation!
All new hundos facing the same.
Not only will he take it, you'll see a smile.

Personally, if it's worth 1200, I'd prob go 1k, it's an investment you'll make money with.
kingjman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #14
TheCougarGuy
Full Fledged Farker

You should jump on it at that price. Don't worry about the chute lid. Just clean it up and then just put foil over the opening and you won't get that build-up under the lid.

The firebox door gets a hot but the rest of the cooker stays cool as it's fully insulated. That being said, you will notice the area around the door will get a little warm (not hot) but that's just the heat transfer from the steel around the cooker opening. You will have no problems having it by your fence.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #15
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCDN View Post
So I'm looking for rust and weld breaks? Trying to figure out what a "red flag" would be.

Someone just posted a Chubs 3400 for $600 so maybe it's my lucky day :)
The Chubby 3400 is $799 with free shipping on a couple of sites and not nearly the capacity of the Assassin.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Assassin 28