The Pie Town Fair BBQ of 1940

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
For the brethren who like to know and remember where we came from, here are some pics of a Barbecue held in Pie Town, New Mexico in 1940 that I ran across made available by the Library of Congress.

Pie Town, peacefully resting in Catron County, New Mexico was apparently founded as follows: Sometime in the early 1920's, Mr. Clyde Norman, a tall Texan and World War 1 veteran who "liked to bake", "broke down" on the side of the road and began making dried apple pies at his upstart business on a piece of ground that lay along a little rocky ridge and the "Coast to Coast Highway" later to become U.S. 60. The word got around that the best pies anywhere were to be found at "Pie Town" hence the name Pie Town.

In 1940, near the end of the Great Depression and just before the dawn of the United States' entry into World War II, a photographer named Russell Lee, an itinerant, government photographer employed by funds from Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal, captured stirring photographs of the people of Pie Town.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Very cool !! I was doing a search earler today on the history of va bbq and ran across some of your old post.. U have deff dug up some interesting information on the history of bbq. Looking forward to seeing more

Thanks so much for posting this, Joe. I love looking at these old photographs, and trying to imagine what the people and their lives were like. Sounds like Pie Town was quite a place. The stuff from which Americana is made. :thumb:

Great stuff Bo - I love your posts! :clap2:

Really cool pix - I could put a hurtin on that dessert table! :hungry: Loving the cars in the background as well.

Love the great historical pieces you come up with Bo. To bad we don't see more gatherings like that these days, the world would be a better place.

Keep'em coming and thanks!

KC

Fun read for me. I grew up in the Texas panhandle about 20 miles from where US 60 runs through. I was born in 1941 and you are considering 1940 to be way back to our roots. And thirdly, I had no idea the world in color back then - all my baby pictures were black and white.:mrgreen:

Anyone else notice that the BBQ crowd was much thinner back then?

Great Post, Boshizzle! I have to give some props to Russell Lee, though... those are some awesome color photos for 1940! (And props to whoever preserved them too!)

Great post and those pics- those pics are priceless!

In a time where we use wifi controlled BBQ pits, remote thermometers, pellets, Thermapens, competition, forums, (etc etc etc) it is so easy to forget what BBQ is all about- thanks for the reminder. :thumb:

Back