MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #1516
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

First world problems for sure. Great picture, BTW!

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #1517
HarrynVegas
Full Fledged Farker

oh the ad I could write for you using that picture. The only problem is that you don't NEED any advertising! The basic laws of supply and demand say you should raise prices. Keep up the great work.
HarrynVegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #1518
VanderLaan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

That pic warrants a caption contest.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #1519
smoke ninja

Her smile couldn't be any bigger.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #1520
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

In regards to people not being able to park for takeout orders, have you thought about setting aside a parking stall near the door specifically for people coming in for pick-up?
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #1521
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
In regards to people not being able to park for takeout orders, have you thought about setting aside a parking stall near the door specifically for people coming in for pick-up?
I'd like to but we need two handicap spaces and those are by the door. Then the lot layout is boxed in with a curb so there is no way to just repaint some lines to improve the layout. At least when all the snow melts people will be able to park on the shoulder of the road, but that isn't exactly a safe option.

Oh we'll. I'll figure it out like everything else during this adventure.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #1522
killerdc
Found some matches.

Default Only took two days to catch up!

Awesome thread. I began reading yesterday, and eventually started skimming through it, and just finished today. Obviously I am not getting any of my own work done. HAHA. Great story. And congrats.

My thoughts on your space problem: Don't do a damn thing. The original Sonny Bryan's here in Dallas is similar to that. It's packed and they sell out when they sell out and there is no room to park or eat inside. People eat on their cars in the lot. If you want it as a consumer, you plan accordingly. And people do every single day for as long as I can remember.

You said your business model was to see far fewer daily visits than you are seeing now, so this must mean you are profitable given that you are 2-3x greater on daily visits than anticipated. That being said, people will adapt to your routine. You have been open only a few months. As word spreads, people will line up far in advance knowing that you will be sold out and if they want a spot in the parking lot, they are going to have to get their early. Seems simple enough. BBQ is a very time consuming business and as the man in charge of doing it all, if you try to please everyone, you will run yourself ragged.

Just my opinion.

I'd sure like to try some of that spicy sauce!
killerdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #1523
bbqmike_ny
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdc View Post
Awesome thread. I began reading yesterday, and eventually started skimming through it, and just finished today. Obviously I am not getting any of my own work done. HAHA. Great story. And congrats.

My thoughts on your space problem: Don't do a damn thing. The original Sonny Bryan's here in Dallas is similar to that. It's packed and they sell out when they sell out and there is no room to park or eat inside. People eat on their cars in the lot. If you want it as a consumer, you plan accordingly. And people do every single day for as long as I can remember.

You said your business model was to see far fewer daily visits than you are seeing now, so this must mean you are profitable given that you are 2-3x greater on daily visits than anticipated. That being said, people will adapt to your routine. You have been open only a few months. As word spreads, people will line up far in advance knowing that you will be sold out and if they want a spot in the parking lot, they are going to have to get their early. Seems simple enough. BBQ is a very time consuming business and as the man in charge of doing it all, if you try to please everyone, you will run yourself ragged.

Just my opinion.

I'd sure like to try some of that spicy sauce!
This plus, ever see the line at Franklins??

I don't know if a BBQ restaurant follows the honeymoon principle like some other businesses, where its new, gets a lot of buzz, explodes for a short while, then calms down. My other thought would possibly to invest in a trailer arrangement, where you could cook extra capacity onsite when needed, or use it to do the catering gigs.
bbqmike_ny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #1524
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Just catching up on your saga. Congrats, I love to hear a happy story.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #1525
Memphis Que
On the road to being a farker

For you Texas guys, I know Sonny Bryan's has been around forever, but how long was Franklin's in business before it started getting customers who are willing to wait hours for food with no guarantee that there will be any left when they get to the front of the line?

I'm just not buying the argument that it is good business for a new restaurant to turn away customers because they run out of food and don't have enough parking spaces. Maybe it's a Texas thing, but none of the many BBQ joints here in Memphis operate like that.
Memphis Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #1526
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Que View Post
For you Texas guys, I know Sonny Bryan's has been around forever, but how long was Franklin's in business before it started getting customers who are willing to wait hours for food with no guarantee that there will be any left when they get to the front of the line?

I'm just not buying the argument that it is good business for a new restaurant to turn away customers because they run out of food and don't have enough parking spaces. Maybe it's a Texas thing, but none of the many BBQ joints here in Memphis operate like that.
He used to be a food truck/trailer, so it was just how it was...I think now it is just the way it is for Franklins because that is how he started.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by peeps; 03-19-2014 at 10:08 AM..
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #1527
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:

As you know the time it takes to make bbq isn't short. So you have a hard limit of the capacity of your smoker. If your customer base exceeds your smoker capacity the only thing you can possibly do is add another smoker to make more food. Adding another smoker is limited by space at the restaurant and cost. So a good bbq restaurant will run out of food if they do not have the capacity to supply the demand that is wanted. It is perfectly ok for a bbq joint to run out of food, provided they are running at full capacity.

Parking is a limiting factor by how much space is on the land. If you have extra land on the property, maybe you can expand the parking lot when the weather gets nicer or next year. But having a packed parking lot isn't a bad thing. It helps with the buzz of "you need to get there early to get food and parking" Lines aren't a bad thing. Yes you would like to serve everybody, but if your restaurant was designed to only serve X people that is a hard limit for you unless you expand. I know myself and friends do not mind waiting in line for great food.

As for people driving by because the line is too long. That is on them. You won't be able to make them happy. Keep doing what you are doing. Serving great food and providing great service to your guests. The people that drive by because the line is too long will either never go to your restaurant, or will make it a point to go earlier so they don't have to stand in line.

Having a buzz of you have to get there early to get parking/table/food is a good problem to have (provided you are running at full capacity) It makes guest realize they have to get there to enjoy something that is in high demand and will be the talk of the town.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #1528
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
99% of the ones in TX don't operate like that either. But then again most of them are just average, just like in Memphis. Just about any place would kill to do the business Franklin's does and still run out daily.

I wouldn't call it "bad business". It's certainly not as efficient as it could be, but it's a way to make money hand over fist.

Heck, there are plenty of people in TX who don't like Franklin's and refuse to go there because of the line. And they're happy to grump out loud to anybody who will listen. It hasn't stopped people from lining up every day though.

If you can sustain that model for years, it's a workable business model.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #1529
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

Do you have room for a take-out trailer in your parking lot?

Franklins Original Trailer...

Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #1530
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

Man, what a read! I think we all felt your frustrations as well as your pride throughout this ride thus far. Congrats on all your success and best of luck for its continuation into the horizon.

I have a question that's perhaps been asked, but do you have plans to include another smoker? Not only to help with the food shortage, but to allow you to cook different meats at the best temps using the best wood (one for chicken cooking above 300 and one for pork and beef cooking below).
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote