New "To Me" Cast Iron Skillets

jerneedog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
During a trip to the Smoky Mountains this past week with my Parents and My Wife, I was talking to my Mother about Cast Iron Skillets. I know she still uses some and she told me that she has some that were her Sister's (My Aunt) that passed away many years ago (my Mother is the youngest of 16), so she said to stop by sometime and pick some out.

Well today was that day, She had a bunch of them, which I may pick up more later as I feel I need more. So I left their house with two, 8 inch skillets. One is deeper than the other and they have pouring lips (whatever they are called?) on both sides, so I figured I could get more use out of these two than the smaller ones she has. These were the largest ones she had.

I plan to season them when I get the chance and plan to use them on the grill. We have an electric glass top stove, so I can't really use them on there. Main plan was for grill use.

One of them is a Griswold and the other is hard to tell, it's really worn on the bottom of the shallower one. Either way, I plan to get lots of use out of them.

I just love great hand me downs like this, knowing that my Aunt used these like crazy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good stuff. That is why I love cast iron - sticks around for generations.

You can use CI on your ceramic cooktop. Just don't drop them on it. They look like glass tops, but they are ceramic, and a lot tougher than glass. I use cast iron on mine on a regular basis. Again, just don't drop your heavy CI on the cooktop.

CD

Perfect size for corn bread. I use my 9 in for corn bread in these parts.

Nice score you will like those. I have my grandmothers 10" and 8 " plus my mom finally gave up the cast iron corn muffins pan! Enjoy them!

Great looking CI. The deeper one is for frying. Were there any lids that went with them. If not keep an eye out for #8 lids that will fit.

Perfect size for corn bread. I use my 9 in for corn bread in these parts.

I'm forty one and my dad's CI is still churning out great cornbread, I think CI was invented for cornbread.

Definitely a nice score... scrub them out gently and thoroughly with some steel wool and then re-season them and they will be good to go :)

Good score. Its nice you got them from family, so their more than just cookware.

+1 for pineapple upside down cake in CI!! The shallow one looks a lot like a Lodge (at least the handle does).

Very nice. I did have some killer cast iron that was passed down to me from grandma through my mother eons ago. I gave it along with an antique ice chest to my daughter when me and wife divorced back in '07.
She's 14 now and loves to cook especially on 'daddy's pots and pans'.

Very nice score. I know what you mean about the glass top. My wife threatened me with bodily harm( all 5' 100# of her compared to my 6'2" 240#) if i used my CI pots on her new stove so i took the Jenn-air that we were replacing(oven was acting up- really she just wanted a new one and the Jenn air is almost 15 years old) and hooked it up in my shop so my pots will still be used. My man cave is slowly getting there.:thumb:

:idea: Love making bacon and eggs when camping in the smaller ones. Use the larger ones for apple or cherry cobbler.:-D:grin:

Back