MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
That being said, there are many great steels out there, and they can be either stamped or forged, that will be amazing knives. I just recently got a great little Tosagata knife from Tosa, Japan, it is a forge welded Hitachi white steel, inside of a Japanese black iron sheath. And it it a great little trimming and fruit knife. Under $100 too.
I recently bought two Tosagatas from Toso, one a Santoku and the other a Nakiri, both of which are certainally are a lot of knife for the money as landarc says.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 01-29-2013 at 06:01 PM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Landarc You and HeSmellsLikeSmoke got me looking at the Tasagato knives and I think I will order a 7 1/2 Satsuma, it seem to be a good all round knife. In addition I am going to order the stone Bucc recommended and go from there. Next I don't really have a steel worth a darn, but I do have a diamond steel, do you or anyone else have a recommendation for one?
Dave

Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
buccaneer

I've never used a tosagata Mo Dave, but I know the Hitachi white is a very good steel, and I'd choose it over the steel used in your first choice of knife.
HTH

Old 01-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a wusthof bread knife. Would it do a good job on a brisket?
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
I've never used a tosagata Mo Dave, but I know the Hitachi white is a very good steel, and I'd choose it over the steel used in your first choice of knife.
HTH
Bucc, I looked around a bit but did not find anything in a price range I can do at this time. Do you have a name brand or site suggestion?
Dave

Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Just today I received Fujiwara FKM stainless and Tojiro DP 21cm gyutos. I haven't had a chance to put them through their paces yet, but I'm really digging this Fujiwara. I should have a 24 cm knife coming later this week, and something tells me that I'm really going to like that, but I've been building up to it from an 8" chef's for some time. On the other hand, I've been using a Shun 18cm gyuto for the last few weeks, and it's been every bit as useful as my 8" Wusthof, even though I'd like something bigger.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
martyleach

You can check out Japanese Knife Imports. The have a lot of variety in what they are importing and Jon is quite knowledgeable on his products. I bought one from him and am thinking about a knife for wide fish filets...

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
You can check out Japanese Knife Imports. The have a lot of variety in what they are importing and Jon is quite knowledgeable on his products. I bought one from him and am thinking about a knife for wide fish filets...

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/
Thanks Marty, I now have it bookmarked and will give it a look.
Dave

Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 AM   #24
buccaneer

The only reason I haven't been posting advice is because I am not sure of what you are looking for Mo Dave.
What will the knife be used for, what jobs will it do?
Budget?
Do you ant people to gasp and go"ooooh wow" when they see it?
I'm not kidding, that is very important for a lot of knife buyers, don't be shy about what you want!
Do you want a mix of beauty and efficiency or would you rather a dedicated design that is purely functional?
Rounded handle or rectangular, any preference?
All things are possible.
I have two excellent high carbon knives I bought for TFO, under 9 bucks with plastic handles( I bought them over the counter in Japan) and they are remarkably good.
Same itch penguin and kiwi brands, good disposable choices.
Just let me know and I'll try to be helpful

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 AM   #25
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Just today I received Fujiwara FKM stainless and Tojiro DP 21cm gyutos. I haven't had a chance to put them through their paces yet, but I'm really digging this Fujiwara. I should have a 24 cm knife coming later this week, and something tells me that I'm really going to like that, but I've been building up to it from an 8" chef's for some time. On the other hand, I've been using a Shun 18cm gyuto for the last few weeks, and it's been every bit as useful as my 8" Wusthof, even though I'd like something bigger.

dmp
Fujiwara
I liked the brief exposure I had to tojiro knives and would like a review when you have given them a thorough run!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Fujiwara
I liked the brief exposure I had to tojiro knives and would like a review when you have given them a thorough run!
Reviews of all these knives are definitely forthcoming. Patience.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #27
Dirt Daddy
Knows what a fatty is.

interesting cant wait for some reviews
Dirt Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #28
Mo-Dave

Quote:
The only reason I haven't been posting advice is because I am not sure of what you are looking for Mo Dave.
What will the knife be used for, what jobs will it do?
Budget?
Do you ant people to gasp and go"ooooh wow" when they see it?
I'm not kidding, that is very important for a lot of knife buyers, don't be shy about what you want!
Do you want a mix of beauty and efficiency or would you rather a dedicated design that is purely functional?
Rounded handle or rectangular, any preference?
All things are possible.
I have two excellent high carbon knives I bought for TFO, under 9 bucks with plastic handles( I bought them over the counter in Japan) and they are remarkably good.
Same itch penguin and kiwi brands, good disposable choices.
Just let me know and I'll try to be helpful
Bucc I already bought the 7 1/2 Satsuma knife-tosagata. It is a white steel base knife but I do not know of what quality. It is a cheap knife at 37.00 so I am not really expecting high quality, and as much as I would love to someday own a beautiful high end knife it is just not in the cards at this time. Just looking for an all around utility, at this time. This should give me an idea if I like this type of knives and if I mite order more of a higher quality sometime. I also ordered the stone you posted about a few day ago, and now am looking for recommendations for a sharpening steel. Here is the site I got the knife from.
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept....&dept_id=13198

On a different note, this should make some get a snicker. I went totally redneck by taking an old Lansky sharpening set and turned it into a makeshift Wicked Edge. Mounted the clamping jaws up right to a block of wood, with the angle guides on either side, this is attached to a stand tall enough for the rods to move up and down without hitting the base.

I used this last night on a couple knives, I only have one set of stones so I can only do one side at a time and that is fine, then I finished them with a leather strop on a belt sander, with polishing past,and damn they are cutting hair with no problem. They are so sharp that when I cut into something like a tomato or grapefruit the blade wants to stick to the board which in this case is bamboo. If I can muster up some courage I may post a pic but I don't want to be a bad influence on others.
Dave

Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post

dmp
When I first looked at this post, I thought who on earth makes this kind of purchase of knives blind, then I looked again that the I.D. and realized, oh, I know who.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #30
landarc

Post a pic of that Wicked Lansky, I would like to see what you did.

If you are going for sharp knives, may I suggest you look past bamboo, which is not that great, and consider Epicurean cutting boards. The handiest boards I know of, with a fast surface, great texture and dishwasher safe. Not too expensive either.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote