BBQ Brethren "Throwdown"...Week 3

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Are you ready for a "Pron Throwdown"...?

This weeks challenge is..."Chicken"...:razz:

Here are the rules...(in case you forgot)...

1) It has to be "Chicken"...duh! :roll:
2) It has to be grilled or smoked...(comp cooked meats are ok too).
3) It has to be cooked during the current "throwdown" week...(Monday-Sunday)
4) All pics or descriptions (if you don't have a digital camera) must be submitted by 7:00 PM Pacific Time on Monday.
5) 3 pics per entry please...

The voting will begin on Tuesday...or whenever I (or anyone else) get around to posting the "vote" thread!

The winner (as determined by popular vote) will receive a very special prize (not sure what yet...).

Good Luck...and have fun! :biggrin:

If you haven't submitted your "Pork Pron" for week 2...you have until I post the "Vote" thread...around 7:00 pm (Pacific) to do so...

Week 1..."Beef"...
Week 2..."Pork"...
Week 3..."Chicken"...
Week 4..."Seafood"...
Week 5..."Breads"...
Week 6..."Desserts"...
Week 7..."Veggies"...

Fark. I got my weeks backward. I did chicken last week and am planning pork this week.
May have to modify plans.

I'm have'n chicken every night this week. I'm bound to get some good looking pron by the end of the week.

Just took yardbirds out of the freezer. Hope I remember to take pix.

Lets get this show on the road.

Spatchcocked chicken grilled indirect over Kingsford and apple wood.

DSC02608.jpg

DSC02622.jpg

Time to eat

DSC02635.jpg

My Oh My!...way to get it goin' Cliff...This just keeps getting better and better. The bar is set brethren...and it's a high one! :p

I'll wade in later this week after the road trip. I can't promise anything special as I already shot... erm never mind. I'll post on Sunday if they are respectable.

Cliff
What type of seasonings did you use on that chicken & did you use food coloring? It looks amazingly juicy. I spatchcock and cook on my kettle frequently and I don't get that type of color.

Cliff
What type of seasonings did you use on that chicken & did you use food coloring? It looks amazingly juicy. I spatchcock and cook on my kettle frequently and I don't get that type of color.

I purchased a rub off the shelf that I wanted to try. It was a paprika,salt,sugar and herb rub. Nothing special.

No food coloring.

I kept the heat in the 350 range. But I will admit that for the first 30 min or so it ran at over 400 deg. The bird was done in about 1-1/2 hours. The breast meat turns out much jucier on my uds smoked at lower temps.

I did not flip the bird either. Had it not been for needing a pic of the skin side for the throwdown I would have flipped the bird when it reached about 150-160.

The juices collect in the cavity of the meat side and keep the breast meat very tender but the skin side looses its eye appeal.

Last edited:
Are you ready for a "Pron Throwdown"...?

This weeks challenge is..."Chicken"...:razz:

Here are the rules...(in case you forgot)...

1) It has to be "Chicken"...duh! :roll:
2) It has to be grilled or smoked...(comp cooked meats are ok too).
3) It has to be cooked during the current "throwdown" week...(Monday-Sunday)
4) All pics or descriptions (if you don't have a digital camera) must be submitted by 7:00 PM Pacific Time on Monday.
5) 3 pics per entry please...

----

I converted my ECB into a charcoal grill and slapped the chicken on the grate over charcoal and some Hickory chips. The chicken had been marinading in a vac-u-seal bag overnight. I Liberally applied the McCormick's rub on both sides and so it goes.

DSC04130_Lo_Lo_Res.jpg

After about an hour and a half, internal temp hit 165°, then I grilled the skin side down for a few minutes then wrapped in foil for about 20 minutes.

DSC04139_Lo_Lo_Res.jpg

The wife made the rice and beans, it was plated with lettuce and tomatoes and the chicken, well, moist & delicious.

Actually, the most flavorful chicken I have ever made. The rest is lunch for tomorrow!

DSC04143_Lo_Lo_Res.jpg

I think I will have to do a rack of thighs tomorrow with my rib cook. I'm not sure it is going to look as good as what is already posted but oh well!!

My submission was chicken requested by MRI_Boy. Drumsticks from the ECB. Nothing fancy - just good eats for the whole family.............

Nothing more than seasoned salt for the Little One's drumsticks, and freshly ground dried Ancho peppers for the adults (which made for the perfect reason to wash the legs down with a beer or two). For the smoke, I used chopped up barrels from Jack Daniels. WOW - what an amazing smell when those started smoking............

n581721988_817393_3156.jpg

n581721988_817394_3473.jpg

n581721988_817392_2827.jpg

This photo is a bonus - not for the throwdown. But MRI_Girl discovered corn on the cob last night. The corn was smoked after sitting in a cooler all day with a single beer, about 8 pounds of ice and handful of seasoned salt.

n581721988_817395_3806.jpg

Back