MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default Equipment Considerations

For longer than I've been around this site I've been planning on building a smoker. All along that design has been a single generously sized cooker. With competitions to be considered this seems less than ideal as one would rather not be committed to a single flavoring wood or blend for all catagories.
My initial thinking is that a decent basic setup would be two cookers, one for butts, one for briskets. Butts and briskets would hopefully be wrapped (or very near ready) by the time chicken and ribs needed to go on so you could swap woods and have a cooker for each of those.

Does this two cooker setup sound like a workable system?

With this two cooker system in mind, I've been shopping for affordable, heavy gauge, medium sized pits. Having looked around, this pit
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/inde...d85d607492079b
seems like a pretty good deal, if it is, as I am guessing a 20"d x 40" pit (just guessing by the sq inches of cooking area given).
Post subject: Check out this Charbroil/NB model Posted: Jul 15, 2004 - 04:50 PM

Anybody know of a more affordable option in this class of pit?

Note-well aware of the WSM's reliable performance, affordability and track record in competition circles. I'd like to have one someday, but this is not the direction I want to go for this particular project.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

If it were me based on your wishes I would consider doing a mobile pit. I would set it with two 24X 60 cookers side by side. This mobile would have a fajita grill and two turkey cookers. I believe in excess!
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2004, 10:05 AM   #3
jt
Babbling Farker

I'm picturing a trailer with 2 pits mounted side-by-side as well. One straight & one queer - that way you either load the wood or food from the same location, depending on how you bolt them to the floor. Maybe put them on one side of the trailer then a long tabletop/storage setup on the other side?

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Take a look at the Lang 84 Twin at www.pigroast.com - dual chambers and dual vericle warmers. I think this could probably be done with his Model 60, too, which is a bit smaller. He can and will install a grill on the front of the trailer.

Just a thought!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
If it were me based on your wishes I would consider doing a mobile pit. I would set it with two 24X 60 cookers side by side. This mobile would have a fajita grill and two turkey cookers. I believe in excess!
I saw that on Monster Makeovers or something on ABC a few weeks back.

Phil called, look at that cooker, turn to ABC, I want that thing.

It was awesome.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
jt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
Take a look at the Lang 84 Twin at www.pigroast.com - dual chambers and dual vericle warmers. I think this could probably be done with his Model 60, too, which is a bit smaller. He can and will install a grill on the front of the trailer.

Just a thought!
Nice cookers. Are those tunable for even heat/smoke distribution?

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

Old 08-11-2004, 11:32 AM   #7
chad

Quote:
Nice cookers. Are those tunable for even heat/smoke distribution?
Oh hell yes!

You'll note the chimney is on the same end as the firebox -- it has baffles that run the smoke the length of the cooker and back.

Testimonials swear by the eveness of the heat for the length and width of the cooker.
I've seen these cookers but haven't used one -- one of his rigs is on my wish list - now if I just hit the lotto or get a catering job big enough to get the size deposit I need :D

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 08-11-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
jt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Oh hell yes!
LOL

My neighbor supposedly built one several years ago - hardly ever uses it. He loaned it to somebody - when he gets it back I'm heading over to see it. Mobile pit like a bandera from how he described it.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

Old 08-11-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
affordable
Seems we've missed this part of the original question :D fun, ain't it!
Quote:
two 24X 60 cookers side
It is within the realm of reason to build this arrangement or something close. I have to work with the materials I can get at reasonable prices. Can't find 24" pipe that isn't nearly doulble the cost of the 20" I have acess to.
Anybody know the weight of 1/4" steel per square ft?

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2004, 02:12 PM   #10
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
affordable
What the hell does that have to do with anything!

Affordable is buying 3 WSMs and forget building an offset.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #11
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Anybody know the weight of 1/4" steel per square ft?
10.21#

Trout

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2004, 02:23 PM   #12
badger
Bash lurker

Quote:

Just a thought!
Is it just me being lazy? As nice as that smoker is, I don't think I would like walking back and forth to either side of the trailer. Am I that farking lazy? Or would this bother anyone else?
NB Bandera - modded.
Unknown Offset Horizontal- Looking for my babies daddy!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2004, 02:25 PM   #13
chad

Quote:
Affordable is buying 3 WSMs and forget building an offset.
Amen! I've got ONE! :D

I was mentioning to the wife last night that I'm really trying to drum up the business and then buy or build the appropriate cooker rather than the other way around (Build it and they will come makes a great movie line!!)

If I have to muddle through with my one WSM and small offset for a while that's ok. I envy you guys that can afford the larger cookers. But that's the chef/caterer in me -- as a competitor I don't mind going in with tools I know and understand. Tim and I are planning on using his StudaDera, my WSM, a couple of other small cookers and grills will also be availabe if needed. In drag racing lingo we're gonna "run what we brung!" :D

Good luck, I wish I could be shopping for a big 'un, too. :D