Smoked Beans

Bigdog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Did the smoked beans thingie in the Bandera this weekend. Farkin' awesome. If you have not tried it yet, I reccomend you do. Did mine in a cast iron dutch oven just over the water pan. No burning or stiring. Had a butt on top of that, a ham on top of that, and 3 fatties as the crown on top of that. Fatties are always on my top shelf. :cool:

Oh yeah! Good stuff! I did some in my Cookshack a while back. I used a foil pan and had the beans under a butt and a couple of fatties!

chargriller said:
Would chicken or turkey above the pan cause any trouble?

IMHO Yes. Poultry juices contaminating beans could be a bad thing.

That is what I was thinking, but thought I should ask just in case. I guess it would be better to keep the poultry on the same rack as the beans since it will be in a hotter spot.

I am going to have to try the smoked beans thing after I get my buckboard bacon done, that would be good to toss into the bean mix as well as brown sugar and onions.

Now I am making my self hungry now :-D

Jalapeno said:
Just curious, what kind of beans did you use?
I used the old stanby Van Camps Pork and Beans, but next time I want to do it with pinto beans.

I took my first try this weekend. Did my first butt, had it on the top rack of my WSM, put a large can of homestyle baked beans in the cast iron pot, added some molasses and brown sugar and put it on the bottom rack. Taste tested them about 4 hrs in and they were awesome, problem was I left them on for the entire cook, the smoke flavor was really overpowering. Next time I'll put them on about 4 hours from the end of the cook.

Scott

sfisch said:
I took my first try this weekend. Did my first butt, had it on the top rack of my WSM, put a large can of homestyle baked beans in the cast iron pot, added some molasses and brown sugar and put it on the bottom rack. Taste tested them about 4 hrs in and they were awesome, problem was I left them on for the entire cook, the smoke flavor was really overpowering. Next time I'll put them on about 4 hours from the end of the cook.

Scott
You are correct Mr. Fisch. They do get smokey if you leave them on for a long time. I did mine for about 7 hrs. Very smokey, but that's the way, uh huh uh nuh, I like it. :wink:

Back