• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just smokin' a little pork roast

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey all. Not a heck of a lot here y'all haven't seen before, but it sure came out tasty!
I was experimenting a little here. I've never actually done the "low-n-slow" and wanted to try it just for kicks really, see if there was any noticeable difference. So for this cook I wanted to maintain cook temps of 225-230, I usually cook in the 275-325 range. In the end, I didn't notice any difference in the outcome.

Started with a little pork shoulder roast, just about 7#, and put a nice coating of SM Spicy Apple and Bone Suckin' rubs.
SmokedPorkRoast001_zps4b39d0b9.jpg

Prepped the Kettle using the snake/ring of fire method. This is the first time I took the time to lay out the briquets so purdy:roll:. Interestingly enough, it made a big difference in maintaining a constant temp. usually I just spread the briquets out so they look somewhat "even", but it does work better to lay them out like this. You can see, I used three rows for this and the temps stayed rock solid between 225-235 and lasted seven hours, and that burned right to the end of the "snake". Used a little Apple wood for smoke.
SmokedPorkRoast003_zps52a3c931.jpg

SmokedPorkRoast005_zpsbb9c315c.jpg

SmokedPorkRoast006_zps0f57eeea.jpg

Roast is on!
SmokedPorkRoast007_zpsafdbbbb8.jpg

Closed up the Kettle and didn't peak til I had an IT of 165. In the mean while, prepped some sides.
SmokedPorkRoast008_zpsf18d17ff.jpg

SmokedPorkRoast009_zps33ebb6cf.jpg

Here we are at 165 IT.
SmokedPorkRoast011_zps08c9aaf7.jpg

Foiled and brought it to an IT of 198 before I peaked again. It probed tender so off to the cooler for a couple hours. Came outta the foil looking like this
SmokedPorkRoast012_zps34a0d24d.jpg

Was a little surprised by all the broth as I did not add anything when I wrapped.......but wow, the pork was juicy and delicious.
Plated shots
SmokedPorkRoast015_zpsae1064b2.jpg

SmokedPorkRoast017_zps71530778.jpg

SmokedPorkRoast018_zpsc84dea07.jpg

SmokedPorkRoast019_zps75f2717a.jpg

SmokedPorkRoast020_zps70935d96.jpg

boy what a great dinner.

Thanks for looking!

KC

Thanks for the ring of fire shots.. Was there water in your pan?

Meat looks great, wanted to lick the cornbread.

awesome food and method!

I see your vents are 1/2 way open. Did you leave them like that?

I have never used my kettle like that, looks interesting

Man that's some good looking que, I gotta stop watching this stuff in morning before lunch.......now I'm really hungry.

awesome food and method!

I see your vents are 1/2 way open. Did you leave them like that?

I have never used my kettle like that, looks interesting

The vents were probably closer to 1/4 open when I put the roast on (had to play with them a little at the start) with the top vents wide open. As I said it worked great as far as consistent temp through the cook. I'll probably just add another row of briquets next time and cook at my usual temps.

KC

Back