MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Found some matches.

Default First GOOD thermometers?

Hey, i've only recently joined up and this is my first thread, but have been reading for a good while.

I'm finally sick of my rough ****ty thermometers and i'm looking at getting something for my Weber Kettle to get some accurate reads. I'm a bit split between what to get first, a Thermapen & Tel-Tru gauge to drill through the lid or side, or a Maverick ET732. I'll end up getting them all over time, but to start, i'm not sure what to go for first, and thought you guys might have some decent advice.

The Thermapen has a wide range of uses, I guess and a hardware therm on my Weber is a must sooner or later, but the Maverick would offer a detailed look at my heat wrangling, and could benefit my skills quicker.

Also, when drilling in a hardware thermometer to a Weber Kettle, i'm thinking of doing it either near the grill under the vent, or perhaps through the bottom bell, right near the grill. Haven't really seen many people put them here, so I was wondering if there's a reason for that.

Thanks guys.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I set my stoker to my desired temp and go by look and feel.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I really like my ET-732 (for the one time I've used it so far.) I liked the ET-73 that I used for a couple years. Some folks had trouble with the range that the remote would work but it never seemed to be a problem for me. I could look out a window and see the cooker so I wasn't too far away. I got the ET-732 because it covers higher temperature 500+ vs. 400+.

I'll probably never own a Thermapen. I have a Taylor Weekend Warrior that gets to temp a couple seconds after a Thermapen and cost about $15.

Edit: I've put eyelets in my WSMs for running the probes but on my kettles I just put the meat probe under the lid and dangle the cooker probe in the lid vent.

Last edited by HankB; 01-28-2013 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: More info
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
I really like my ET-732 (for the one time I've used it so far.) I liked the ET-73 that I used for a couple years. Some folks had trouble with the range that the remote would work but it never seemed to be a problem for me. I could look out a window and see the cooker so I wasn't too far away. I got the ET-732 because it covers higher temperature 500+ vs. 400+.

I'll probably never own a Thermapen. I have a Taylor Weekend Warrior that gets to temp a couple seconds after a Thermapen and cost about $15.

Edit: I've put eyelets in my WSMs for running the probes but on my kettles I just put the meat probe under the lid and dangle the cooker probe in the lid vent.
I have one of those weekend warriors, it's nice for tri tip where I set an alarm and let it go. I have had it a couple years and works fine.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Well, let me see, I have a ET-732,I've had it for a couple years and have never had a problem with it. I also have a Weber Performer with the therm. in the lid, it seems to run about 50* higher than my grill temp, per my ET-732. I do not have a Thermopen, I might get one some day, but really don't neccessarily see a reason for one in my situation right now. I'm not really sure what your application is.....low and slow, hot and fast, grilling etc. For my purposes, the ET-32 works great.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

732. Two birds with one stone. Meat temps and grill temps.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm not sure I'd puncture the ceramic-coated lid of a Weber kettle just to add a thermometer hole. Because it will rust all around the hole. I had a lid with a rusty spot, so I went ahead and drilled out a hole there. I like to put short pieces of pipe couplers over my thermo hole, centered over a 1/4" hole, so I can thread in thermometers with 1/2" threaded backs (or 3/8" or 1/4" with bushings as needed). I weld the pipe coupler pieces in and just paint it black. I'm not one of those guys whose cookers has to look like a museum piece! - seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepitboss View Post
I'm not sure I'd puncture the ceramic-coated lid of a Weber kettle just to add a thermometer hole. Because it will rust all around the hole.
I've only done one lid and that's on my mini-WSM. I've had an eyelet in my 18.5 WSM for several years with no problem. It seems that enough smoke/grease deposits on the inner walls to prevent rust (so far.) On my mini-WSM which has a silver barrel, the tracks where it runs down the outside are obvious (but not overly objectionable. )

Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

get a maverick. you'll be glad you did. The thermapen is a beast and worth every penny. that being said, i use my maverick PT-100 regularly because i cook at night a lot and it has a backlight

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
et732, tel-tru, Thermapen