UDS Fire Basket

SC_Dave

Knows what a fatty is.
I built my fire basket 14 diameter X 8 high. On a long cook it's fine. On a short cook using less briquettes they are not bunched up enough to keep em going. So, I'm gonna build a smaller basket to drop into the larger one. My question is what size? I was thinking maybe 8 diameter X 8 high?? What do you guys think?

David

Why use less coal for a shorter cook? I always use the same amount, and when I'm done cooking, I close up all of the intake and exhaust, putting out the fire. Next time I cook, I shake off the ash and add some more fresh coal. Used charcoal works just fine, unless it gets wet.

I made a smaller basket, but I rarely use it. I do the same thing as MushCreek (and most everyone, I bet), and close my drum down when the cook is done. Next time, I see how much is left and add more as needed.

Hope this helps!

Why use less coal for a shorter cook? I always use the same amount, and when I'm done cooking, I close up all of the intake and exhaust, putting out the fire. Next time I cook, I shake off the ash and add some more fresh coal. Used charcoal works just fine, unless it gets wet.

I find it absorbs so much moisture it doesn't burn well at all.

You just leave it in the UDS outside? Wouldn't the humidity in the summer make it not burn? Would it cause a problem if after everything cooled you just dumped the left over ones back into the bag.

If you want to use the same amount of fuel, but bunch them up, cut a piece of expanded metal and position it in your basket as a divider and just fill up that side.

I built my fire basket 14 diameter X 8 high. On a long cook it's fine. On a short cook using less briquettes they are not bunched up enough to keep em going. So, I'm gonna build a smaller basket to drop into the larger one. My question is what size? I was thinking maybe 8 diameter X 8 high?? What do you guys think?

David

I think I wouldn't be without mine. I use it for shorter cooks, or for lower temperature cooks. I made mine taller than the regular basket so I could do a long low temp cook too (like for Buckboard or sausages). I can also put charcoal around the outside of the mini basket and leave the center empty. A lot of options here.

DSC03114.jpg

David

Dont build a smaller basket just displace the volume in the original basket with something. I had a 1/8" mild steel sheet that i bent.

I took this pic just for you:)
IMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5610.JPG

IMG_5611.JPG

Kris

I too fill my basket to the top each time, then extinguish when done, leave them in the drum and relight next time.

I'm doing the same as Mush and Stiffy...never had problems and my drums sleep outside.

Back