BBQ Movie

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I'm in the process of writing a screenplay about competitive barbecuing (think Beer Fest meets Talladega Nights). It's a comedy and it involves all these different countries coming to Texas to compete in the World Cue Off. I'm aware something like this already exists in real life (I think Jack Daniels sponsors it?), except I added some other countries into this to make it funnier (China, Russia, Pakistan, etc).

Anyway, my big issue is: How do I make BBQ exciting?

I need to have some intense moments, some suspense, that sort of thing.

For example, once you've prepared a brisket and thrown it in your pit, you have hours and hours before anything really happens.... which can be boring.

I've tried to avoid the actual bbq part in the movie as much as possible, but I obviously need to have it in there.

Anyway, thanks for any help/advice, I really appreciate it.

What do most folks do when they have time to kill at Any gathering? Drink and BS .

If Talladega night style, would be funny if the Russians where drinking Mexican beer, the Mexicans drinking vodka, the American rednecks drinking Champaign and the French drinking moon shine :)

same culture reversal,while drinking of course, would apply around camp playing "traditional" games associated with a specific country...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Grease fires! Oh, yeah, flames shooting up 10 feet over your head. Chinese fire drill for real this time!

'injecting and rubbing meats'. some real juvinile humor there. Shigging needs to be there. You have to have the up and coming team competing against the winningest man in BBQ (Myron). Best comparison to another script I would say is Beerfest. 'Secret recipes' passed down from generations, underground society, etc, etc.

After getting them liquored up you could have a confrontation between the Chinese and Pakistanis.
It starts with trash talking, and proceeds to the Pakistani chasing the Chinese guy (Jackie Chan) with an Injector.
Myron has to get up from the Judges table to end the spat.
He's armed with a 'Cleaver', and a glass of Jack Daniels.
(Has to be some realism) :wink:

Note: You might let the Pakistani guy catch Chan, he's been pretty anti American lately.
Maybe inject Jackie with Beef Broth for comic effect.

Last edited:
It may be more attractive if you shoot our chinese enjoy eating head and neck of duck and chicken, specially claw of chicken. By the way China crime group smuggle chicken claw from States! We also eat pig head, kidney, which are more expensive than ordiney meat.
Balls of pig lamb cattle are most expensive.

I think it would be funny to have a BBQ Team from Israel - the “Hebrew Porkers”. They don't eat their food they just want to win the prize money.

Yeah – I just stereotyped.

Two words. "translation errors".

Heck, 'butt' is the source of non-stop, constant amusement despite the fact that we're all grow'd up and know that it's the shoulder. :mrgreen:

The judge opens the pork butt box to find.... a butt.

Awesome! Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'm definitely going to take them into consideration. If you have any more ideas, keep 'em coming!

Thanks!

Here are some casting ideas.

Will Ferrel: as the overly confident and cocky winningest man in BBQ

Sam Elliot: as the grizzled old BBQ veteran ala Johnny Trigg

Owen Wilson: as a new age BBQ zenmaster type who meditates and believes in being one with the meat

Ben Stiller: as a BBQ tech junkie that has the most expensive pit and every BBQ gadget and has taken every class imaginable, but still can't win.

Just a few that popped into my head.

OK. These are all funny moments to have in the movie, but the most important thing is that the movie has to be a movie first.

I'd have snippets of nearly everything mentioned above, but there has to be a story in there.

The obvious one would be to have the main character be something of an outsider to the world of competitive bbq. Foreigner/Convict that cooks with prison food ingredients/Vegan with conflicting interests, etc. The problem is that this is obvious and played out.

With the reality-tv wave of the past 10+ years becoming the bulk of our entertainment, i'd recommend going to a fake documentary style thing - follow 3-4 teams of equally strange but very different people as they go through the season. This would be great.

Have one of the teams be a major re-occuring champion who is a dick.
Have a squeaky clean bible belt couple who does everything together as team #2.
Team 3 could be just some drunk hillbilly dudes who pound moonshine and act moronic,
Team 4 could be a nice normal farker who lost his job and now really "needs this".

It's a pretty standard mock-umentary style - but it's always good if you have the right people.

Watch "Best In Show" - shoot for something like that.

Get that grinders guy to come and light his smoker up--streatch was his name. That guy is funny

Here are some casting ideas.

Will Ferrel: as the overly confident and cocky winningest man in BBQ

Sam Elliot: as the grizzled old BBQ veteran ala Johnny Trigg

Owen Wilson: as a new age BBQ zenmaster type who meditates and believes in being one with the meat

Ben Stiller: as a BBQ tech junkie that has the most expensive pit and every BBQ gadget and has taken every class imaginable, but still can't win.

Just a few that popped into my head.

Those are all good suggestion...here's what I was actually thinking so far:

Will Ferrell: Plays a really mean older man named Butterscotch who doesn't really talk to anyone...that is until they find out they have to create a team for the World Cue Off and he's forced to join up with several other local "outcasts". He also mines his own coal...

Danny McBride: Plays T.F. McCoy (T.F. stands for Texas Forever, not what you may have thought....) as the main character and he more or less sucks at barbecuing because he spends all his time focusing on grilling Hamburgers (which he's good at), and which will end up being the tie-breaker in the World Cue Off. He claims that people don't give the Hamburger enough credit and that it's much harder to 'Cue than people think. He's never won Grand Champion, but he gets on Butterscotch's team for the World Cue Off, along with Tubberville and Guy Cocksworth...

Nick Swardson: Plays T.F.'s best friend Tubberville...the two are practically a team.

Melissa McCarthy:plays Barbie Q. Williams...her and her team of Garth and Cactus are the most recent Grand Champions and also the team to beat...she and T.F. do NOT get along.

Cary Elwes: Plays Guy Cocksworth, an EXTREMELY wealthy man who has the most fancy bbq equipment and talks with an unnecessary British accent. He used to be good at barbecuing but has struggled recently since his father passed away.

Sam Elliot: Funny you mention him because I was thinking of using him for the role of Tabasco Sanfield. He's the old bbq veteran who "dang near won every competition he ever took part in"...he doesn't compete anymore because it's just too easy for him, but he's still the most respected person amongst the barbecue community...he'll also end up being T.F. McCoy's uncle...

Sascha Baron Cohen: As the leader of the Pakistani team..

Ken Jeong: As the leader of the Chinese team...

Craig Robinson: As the leader of the Russian team...yes, he's black..."Sweet lord it's a commie negro!"...

Anyway those are just some of the famous actors I had in mind. There's a lot I can do with this script and I'm already about 60 pages in. My only issue was trying to find a way to make the actual part where the bbq as interesting and exciting as possible...

You can do a lot in comedy with the phrase "Butt Rub" or "Get some rub on my Butt".

Now I feel like a fourth grader again.

Is this movie going to go straight to DVD?

Haha I'm not a professional screenwriter or anything, this is just something I do for fun. I will send the script out when it's done and see if anyone likes it though, but obviously the chances of that happening are small.

Back