First time turn in boxes

zabor16

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
These are my first try at practice turn in boxes. I should probably do a lot more practice as my first comp is in October. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 151
My questions...
1. Why is the chicken puckered looking?
2. Why not put more ribs in the box? color looks good... just fill it up more.

I think the garnish in the chiki box looks pretty good, the chicken itself has kinda a strange lumpy looking texture... Ribs look like there are only 4 in the box, are there some underneath? All and all not to bad if it's your first time ever making boxes...

Chicken looks good, if you have 7 ribs in box! I'd put the top 4 on bottom and the bottom 3 on top, if I see 7 ribs? I need to cook chicken & ribs this week!

You've done better than a lot of first-time boxes I've seen!

Be careful about your ribs though. I've heard judges being given instruction this season that you must have six visible portions in the box, not just physical portions. If you hide half your ribs underneath a top layer you could take a hit on your appearance scores. From your picture above it appears that you only have four ribs in the box, so stagger your layers a bit so the judges can tell there are more pieces below the top layer.

I am not sure why the chicken skin came out that way but it was crispy and good. I put it on the top rack of the smoker and cooked it at about 290, maybe that had something to do with it. All the fat was rendered nicely and it had a good flavor.

There were 8 ribs in the box, I will keep in mind the "visible" and try to spread things out a bit.

Thanks for the comments. I will give it another go this weekend.

they all look pretty good..especially for first time boxes..
BTW-I saw 8 ribs right off the bat and assumed they looked a bit hidden due to the camera shot

Some of the best first time boxes I've seen. Good job! I'd give your chicken an 8 and ribs a 7 in appearance. The parsley you stuck in between the pieces of chicken is a detractant. No point in having it there unless you push it down farther into the meat. Don't hide meat!

I agree with the comments above Ditch the parsley in between the chicken pieces and try to stagger the ribs more so the back row is obvious. You've judged, so think about how long you had to look at a box and determine your score.

The meat looks generally good, but its the little things that will move you up a oint in appearance. The thigh in the center of the bottom row probably could have been trimmed more on the ends to make it the same size and shape as the others, and the lower right thigh is smaller and more triangular in shape than the others.

On the ribs, go bacck and touch up the glaze to get rid of bare spots or this spots. The left hand rib has a big bare or thin spot right on top that draws the eye. also, try to pick off obvious dark bits. the second rib from the left appears to have a pice of dark stuff near it's bottom end.

Some of these things may not have been noticable to the judges but when you have time to study a picture they standout :-D

The biggest help I've found is just taking the picture and looking at it. There are so many things that I just didn't see that jumped out on the first view of the photo that I'm almost thinking of reviewing it before I let my runner have the box!:eek:

I agree with the comments above Ditch the parsley in between the chicken pieces and try to stagger the ribs more so the back row is obvious. You've judged, so think about how long you had to look at a box and determine your score.

The meat looks generally good, but its the little things that will move you up a oint in appearance. The thigh in the center of the bottom row probably could have been trimmed more on the ends to make it the same size and shape as the others, and the lower right thigh is smaller and more triangular in shape than the others.

On the ribs, go bacck and touch up the glaze to get rid of bare spots or this spots. The left hand rib has a big bare or thin spot right on top that draws the eye. also, try to pick off obvious dark bits. the second rib from the left appears to have a pice of dark stuff near it's bottom end.

Some of these things may not have been noticable to the judges but when you have time to study a picture they standout :-D
Ron said it all...

Back