New Cooker Help Lang Vs Meadow Creek

SigSauerNY

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for something I can grow into and spend the extra couple grand now then in a couple months need something larger and I'm looking at another $$.

I'm between Lang and Meadow Creek budget is 10k. If it's less I'm not complaining.

I do mainly Texas style bbq and beef dominates my cooker. 14-16# briskets! chuck roast, Dino ribs! whole chickens, etc

I cook in all weather so I like Meadow creeks insulated option.

Need something with temp consistency and hopefully not a fuel hog.

Was thinking lang 108 or ts250 or ts500 however I'm hearing a lot about temp fluctuations from side to side. Then got to thinking about dual lang 84s.

I like loading and not looking, spray here and there, but close and cook.

Anyone cook on a 108 / ts250 / ts500 and have temp issues or problems like I'm reading online

Greatly appreciate feedback

Looking for something I can grow into and spend the extra couple grand now then in a couple months need something larger and I'm looking at another $$.

I'm between Lang and Meadow Creek budget is 10k. If it's less I'm not complaining.

I do mainly Texas style bbq and beef dominates my cooker. 14-16# briskets! chuck roast, Dino ribs! whole chickens, etc

I cook in all weather so I like Meadow creeks insulated option.

Need something with temp consistency and hopefully not a fuel hog.

Was thinking lang 108 or ts250 or ts500 however I'm hearing a lot about temp fluctuations from side to side. Then got to thinking about dual lang 84s.

I like loading and not looking, spray here and there, but close and cook.

Anyone cook on a 108 / ts250 / ts500 and have temp issues or problems like I'm reading online

Greatly appreciate feedback
Spicewine large or Spicewine large trailer

I like my Lang but Im going with a Meadowcreek when I go bigger. I think my Lang is drafty and uses a ton of fuel. Thats my 2 cents.

What are you cooking on now? If you’re looking at a Lang 84 or a Meadow Creek TS 250 you must be cooking on something smaller. Given that a move up to one of those cookers is a big step up. Both of these can hold a large amount of meat and can easily cook a nice size hog. I put a little over 40 Pork Butts on my 84 with no problem.
A 108 is a gigantic cooker which in my opinion is way too big for most people as is a Dual Lang 84. I believe these are best used when cooking for events where large quantities are needed. In saying that, the events would have to be somewhat frequent but not continuous as these like all stick burners require attention and feeding ever 30 to 40 minutes which can be exhausting on regular bases. Furthermore, Stick Burners do not fit the model of Set It and Forget It. If you like loading the cooker with meat and not tending the fire a Stick Burner is not for you. I suggest that you find some of the Brethren on the Island that have Langs and check them out in person so you know what you are getting into.

Below you can see my Lang 84 and my Large Spicewine with two of it's 4 Racks Loaded up with Pork Butts. I ended up having 3 of the Spicewines racks filled with Pork Butts as that's all I had.

Slamdunkpro suggested a Spicewine on a trailer. This is a great option as it turns out great product, holds a ton of meat and is about as Set It and Forget It as it gets for a Charcoal Cooker. If you speak to Jay regarding the quantity of meat that you plan to cook I’m sure he will be able to help you and suggest a size that works. He may even suggest building a custom size unit for you.

Whatever you do, you need to have a very clear plan as to how your cooker will be used so you can get the best bang for the buck.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Attachments

• 2012-11-04 01.18.54.jpg
    2012-11-04 01.18.54.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 2012-11-04 18.53.45.jpg
    2012-11-04 18.53.45.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
I have a Lang 84 no drafty issues with mine and fuel is not terrible as compared to my custom stick burner. All report that I have ever seen on the 108 though are not the best and have seen many say if you need larger than an 84 then go with two 84's vs a 108. My biggest issue with Lang is over simple things like the fabricators that work for them sometimes do not take pride in their work and just slap things together and weld them. Door latches not cut properly, upper shelve not level with lower shelf. weld two halves of a spring handles together to make one handle. Those are examples of my pit only and I see it on others as well. That said I'd buy one tomorrow and if I wanted the pride job I'd get a Gator Pit or Jambo and pay another $4000 for the comparable pit probably.

I don't have experience with either cooker - but just wanna throw out that you might want to think about shipping costs and whether that's within the budget you've set out or whether that'll be on top. It will be a significant amount of money to either ship or go get the cooker - not saying it ain't worth it - I did it and I'd do it again!

I have a 180 gallon stick burner now.

This is for larger events and catering, I don't mind the extra fuel however I can't imagine that the 108 is using that much more than a 84, according to Ben it's great (granted he's selling em)

I don't mind watching a fire, I enjoy it and feel its a better flavor and provides a certain authenticity to my product, not that gravity fed or pellet fed systems are not heck I might even buy one eventually for sleep, buti, still young and wanna grow and learn and then laugh about it one day.

I have no problem going with jj pits, gator, klose, etc but that extra 4k is brisket money and I have truckers going to and from my home in FL and NY who can detour and deliver for $100 tip.

I'm more concerned with the temps and reliability of a Meadow creek compared to lang, they have pretty nice craftsmanship and attention to detail which I like.

But everyone swears by a Lang and with my $$ I really want something I'm gonna grow into, not go crazy learning the pit, and looks nice enough to market itself.

Just my thoughts and I still wanna hear yours.

Btw I do kosher bbq, beef and chicken etc (no pork sorry)

I went thru the same thing about 3years ago and wound up getting the mc/t 250with the 42 on front.the biggest difference between the two was the weight of the door, the Lang was to heavy for my wife to open. They offered to cut it in half but then I would loss space inside. I paid $7000 for mine and it's worth every penny

I went thru the same thing about 3years ago and wound up getting the mc/t 250with the 42 on front.the biggest difference between the two was the weight of the door, the Lang was to heavy for my wife to open. They offered to cut it in half but then I would loss space inside. I paid $7000 for mine and it's worth every penny

Does the ts250 equal the lang 108 or closer to a 84?

Also how are the temps on that cooker, they look really well made, attention to detail and I like the stainless standard grates along with insulated fire boxes

I have a 180 gallon stick burner now.

This is for larger events and catering, I don't mind the extra fuel however I can't imagine that the 108 is using that much more than a 84, according to Ben it's great (granted he's selling em)

I don't mind watching a fire, I enjoy it and feel its a better flavor and provides a certain authenticity to my product, not that gravity fed or pellet fed systems are not heck I might even buy one eventually for sleep, buti, still young and wanna grow and learn and then laugh about it one day.

I have no problem going with jj pits, gator, klose, etc but that extra 4k is brisket money and I have truckers going to and from my home in FL and NY who can detour and deliver for $100 tip.

I'm more concerned with the temps and reliability of a Meadow creek compared to lang, they have pretty nice craftsmanship and attention to detail which I like.

But everyone swears by a Lang and with my $$ I really want something I'm gonna grow into, not go crazy learning the pit, and looks nice enough to market itself.

Just my thoughts and I still wanna hear yours.

Btw I do kosher bbq, beef and chicken etc (no pork sorry)

Let me offer you this - consider a Meadow Creek Ts-250 with 1 (or possible 2) PR42 chicken cookers on the front of the trailer. You can crank out an amazing amount of chicken with a PR 42 in a short period of time.

One other though about Meadow Creek vs Lang since you are in NY. Meadow Creek isn't that far from you in case you have an issue or want mods done.

If you aren't in too much of a hurry consider driving down to the Meadow Creek open house in April and attend the auction. Lots of cookers go on the block there,

Does anyone here have the ts500 cooker, there really isn't a lot of info anywhere about them, and the lang 108 also has very little on it

I own a few meadow creek cookers. Chicken cookers, pig roaster and just ordered the brand new BX-50 that they just started selling. The build quality is top notch. My stick burner is a custom built 120gallon which is basically a TS-120 clone minus the bells and whistles and half the price. They build some really nice custom units and will basically build whatever you want. The build quality can't be beat but you are definitely paying for it.

I drive a ford edge, my father drives a Lincoln mkx...they're both the same car his just has the extras that jack the cost up

I had a edge and preffered it over the mkx lol.

I'm waiting on feedback specific to the ts250 / ts500 or lang 108

But I can tell the difference in build quality (welds, latches, etc) although I'm curious if they cook as good as a lang as everyone swears by.

Trying to make sure I spend the 8k only once, if business takes off then it doesn't matter lol.

Saw that ad, thanks for the info though, I do plan on buying new just can't seem to make a final decision although I feel the lang 108 or the ts500 have the largest "presence" which helps with marketing but if they can't cook well / hold even temps they are not worth the $$

If you have experiene with a lang 108 or ts500 please chime in

And thanks everyone for their input it is all appreciated.

Langs are a proven unit. Yes theres temp variations but show me a stick burner that doesn't.
I haven't cooked on a MC but have seen them up close and they are very nice pits.

The question is a couple degrees or a hundred, I came across some threads with some exreme temp variations.

I am leaning towards a lang for the history of lang.

But those meadow creeks sure is purdy.

My Lang 84 has a hot spot on bottom shelf above firebox so I use that section only for a pan of something I want hot quick, and the bottom shelf farthest from the firebox can run as much as 25 degrees cooler sometimes than the rest of the pit. I can tweak to get it with in 5 degrees in this cool spot but I don't have a need to do it. The rest of the space is all even, like said above all stick burners have a hot/cold spot or two. The MC may be just as great but I have never used one.

Everyone has their own preferences...most reverse flows are basically the same, hot spot @ firebox end and generally, the top rack runs hotter than the bottom one. Meadow Creek's are essentially a Lang Clone.

I've built a few reverse flows and have fallen out of love with them... I've seen simpler offset stick burner designs that are less complicated and work as well or better with temperature variations within the pit (jambo)

I don't think I would buy a meadow creek. I own many meadow creek products but I feel the reverse flow TS smokers aren't with the price. I should say the extras that make them more expensive aren't worth the price. Just my opinion. As said before they are all just different variations of the same proven concept.

Back