MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Unhappy Weird Pork Butt

I opened a pork butt this evening. Danged thing still had the hide on it except for an area that was facing up int the package. Weight was 10# and was in a cryovac package.

I spent over 20 minutes trying to trim off the pig hide off it. Cut off about 80% of the hide and said enough. Got really frustrated and seasoned it and it is now on the Big Steel Keg.

Just curious as I have cooked well over a few thousand pounds of pork butts but have never experienced this ever in my life.

I bought this butt at a very large chain store here in Michigan called Meijer Thrifty Acres.

The meat department mgr. is a really good friend of mine. He will hear from me in the morning.

I also have cooked whole shoulders with hide on them but never a bone in pork butt.

Thoughts?

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Weird, I gotta assume someone skipped their inspecting product and just whiffed it. I am sure a friendly chat will resolve this issue.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
I opened a pork butt this evening. Danged thing still had the hide on it except for an area that was facing up int the package. Weight was 10# and was in a cryovac package.

I spent over 20 minutes trying to trim off the pig hide off it. Cut off about 80% of the hide and said enough. Got really frustrated and seasoned it and it is now on the Big Steel Keg.

Just curious as I have cooked well over a few thousand pounds of pork butts but have never experienced this ever in my life.

I bought this butt at a very large chain store here in Michigan called Meijer Thrifty Acres.

The meat department mgr. is a really good friend of mine. He will hear from me in the morning.

I also have cooked whole shoulders with hide on them but never a bone in pork butt.

Thoughts?
Sounds like they charged you extra for the skin.... I too never had a butt with the skin, only shoulders.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Interesting. I buy stuff from Meijer frequently, but have never seen anything like this. Somebody clearly dropped the ball.

But why did it take you 20 minutes to trim it? Do you not own a sharp knife?
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

buy yourself a good quality fileting knife, its like my fav tool
grantw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

I bought a cheap ham a few months back that came the same way. Like you, I got about 3/4 of it off before finally throwing it on the smoker. After about two hours I was able to remove the remaining amounts.

Funny thing, it turned out to be one of the best hams I've ever had.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Interesting. I buy stuff from Meijer frequently, but have never seen anything like this. Somebody clearly dropped the ball.

But why did it take you 20 minutes to trim it? Do you not own a sharp knife?
Cutting of pork skin in a clean buss tub is like chasing a new puppy in a thick woods.

I should have grabbed my filet knife and been done with it but I was covered in pork fat and trying to hustle.

Mission accomplished and on time!

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I got a picnic from Meijer two weeks ago that had the skin on it. (I know you know, but skin on a picnic like I got is pretty common) I know exactly what you mean about what a pain in the butt removing the skin is. Felt like 20 mins, but was probably closer to 10. Came out good though when all done.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
deguerre

Cracklins Mikey, bonus!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Picnics usually have skin, but never saw it on a butt???

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

I recently bought "Country Style Ribs", which is just a Boston Butt sawed into pieces. In the package the fat side is always down, so you have to guess/feel how much fat was trimmed. When I got the meat out to cook, the ribs with fat also had the skin on them! I have cooked hundreds of packs of CS ribs, this is the first skin I have seen. I hope this is not a trend, I likes me some cheap meat!
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

I get ticked off when they cut the skin off the butt. Makes good cracklins.
Hi Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

I don't buy pork from Meijer as the one near us has only "enhanced" pork
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote