Chili?

Av8er

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anyone got a good chili recipe they want to share? Want to make some next weekend but have never been real happy with the recipes I have used in the past.

Thanks in advance.

3 pounds of cubed or coarse ground venison
3 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons cooking oil
2 cans of light red kidney beans
2 cans of dark red kidney beans
1 and 1/2 cups tomato sauce
3/4 cup of tomato paste
1 can stewed tomatoes
6 cloves garlic, chopped (2 tablespoons)
6 Jalapeno peppers, chopped *
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped fine
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons Louisiana Hot Sauce
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons honey1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Heat up a skillet and brown the venison in the butter and oil. A big secret to good tasting chili is to really brown the venison well. Add the onion and garlic to the browned venison and cook until softened. Drain well.*
Put the venison, onion and garlic into a large crock pot ( 6 to 8 quarts). Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well. Cook on high for 2 hours, then turn down to low. Cook for another 6 to eight hours, stirring every once in a while. The*homemade venison chili*should be fairly thick. If not, cook on high with the cover off for another hour or so.*
Serve the chili topped off with shredded cheese, sour cream and hot cornbread. It freezes well too, if any is left over. (very unlikely)

I usually use Blues Hog Original for the bbq sauce. Ground beef works equally well. You can double the meat, and omit the beans. I have never had anyone not get seconds. My daughter made it under my supervision last weekend, and my in home nurse ate it 3 days in a row...

I've been making a version of Bad Attitude Chili for years. Making a batch tomorrow for the office pot luck. If I don't bring it, everyone always bitches at me. I'll try to remember to take some pics.

I like this one and make it often. I sometimes use sirloin or venison instead of the chuck.

1.5lb Chuck roast
32oz beef stock or broth....Broth is saltier...
4Tbsp Chili Powder
1Tbsp Garlic Powder
1Tbsp Onion Powder
1Tbsp Oregano
1Tsp black pepper
1 packet of Sazon Goya,Con Azafran(You can find this in most supermarkets)
1Tsp Cumin
1 medium onion,diced
1 8 oz.can tomato sauce
1 can Rotel Tomatoes,(Diced tomatoes with green chiles).

Method....
In a heavy soup pot or dutch oven...
Cut the Chuck roast into quarter inch cubes(this is important).
Cook until grey,not brown...Drain the meat and discard the grease and liquid. Set meat aside...
Cook diced onions with corn oil until soft.
Add beef stock.
Add Sazon packet.
Add tomato sauce.
Add Rotel.
Cook until boiling.
Taste for salt....Add salt while simmering until it's right...
At this point the mix should be orange.....
All Tbsp & Tsp should be heaping...
Add meat.
Add all dry ingredients EXCEPT Cumin.....
You might need to add water if it's too thick...
Simmer for an hour,covered,stirring every 10 minutes and taste it for salt...
Add cumin and simmer for 15 minutes...
Turn off the heat and let it set for a little bit....
Serve with sharp cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream...

Google Egret's chilli.I leave out the cinnamon.

I just wing it, pour a decent amount of Kirkland Taco Seasoning into the mix.
I do not see it on the shelves today. I'm sure it's the typical Cumin, etc. Mexican spices. I mentioned Cumin,no?

The one cookbook I have that never gets put up. It’s always out

International Chili Society Official Chili Cookbook https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312419899/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OBV9DbQ7TKBPK

Seriously,?get this book. Grand stories History championships recipes chiles desserts drinks sides toppings regional differences gastric intolerance uppity low brow zlA to New York And even Cinci etc etc. it’s a grand read front to back and just to flop open. And yes beans versus no beans

Taco Seasoning??? Years ago we did that. I’d forgotten. Look at Old El Paso reduced salt taco seasoning. May buy some for my next pot.

I give up and use bushes chili magic, 2 texas style 1 traditional ,I add chipotle tomatoes red bell pepper and onions, it calls for 1 can maters for each can of chili. I settled on a 3lbs batch of meat. you use 1lbs of meat per can, I never could make chili that I liked that tasted the same twice lol

Basic recipe I've been using for years. Never comes out precisely the same because it's based on fresh peppers and they vary. Fresh peppers are best. I like a variety of them in chili...lends a balance. Taste test each variety for flavor and heat just to see what you're dealing with. They're all different. Not just by type of pepper, but where/when they were grown.

Ingredients:
2# ground chuck
2# ground pork
2 tbl olive oil
½ cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
2 cans crushed or diced tomatoes (28 oz)
1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
2 Anaheim peppers (seed & fine chop all peppers)
6 jalapeno peppers
2 Serrano peppers
2 red finger peppers
2-3 large white onions (medium-fine chop)
8 large cloves garlic (minced)
½ tsp red chili flakes
2 tbl dried oregano
2 tbl dried basil
2 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl gray sea salt
2 cans red kidney beans (19 oz, rinsed)
2 cans black beans (19 oz, rinsed)

Very simple cook:
Brown meat in olive oil, drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer covered 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Sometimes wait an hour before adding the beans.

Modify the recipe depending on what peppers are at the store...sometimes throw a habanero in. Usually double or triple the recipe. The wide range of peppers adds color, as well as different heats and flavors. Don't sauté them because that causes them to lose both color and a bit of crunch. Same with the onions and garlic. This chili has character.

Usually toast whole cumin seeds and grind them up with a mortar & pestle. Toasting definitely releases more fragrance and flavor.

Prefer soaking dried beans overnight and cooking them separately but canned work fine.

You can substitute ale or stout for the wine but I don't recommend that unless the entire batch will be consumed within 2 days. There's something about beer that makes chili get skanky pretty quick.

This is my favorite. It's won a bunch of cookoffs around here.

http://www.raginblaze.com/products.html

The recipe and instructions come with the seasoning, but I'm sure you can find it online if you look around. I've used
ground beef, deer, brisket, and pulled pork. It's been excellent with any meat.

You've got a lot of excellent looking recipes to choose from here, so I'll just add this to the mix. The ICS publishes the recipes of each annual champion. That's no to say that the cooks provide 'all' the ingredients and exact procedures but I'll bet it's a good start. Google 'ics winning recipes'. Typically when I'm, really trying to master a dish I'll take a handful of the most promising recipes, gather what makes sense, toss what doesn't and come up with starting point - go from there. Hope that helps.

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions. Looking forward to making one of them this weekend.
Thanks y’all.

Back