Putting out your charcoal

82muchhomework

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Important but not interesting.

Over the weekend, we unexpectedly had a bunch of kids in the neighborhood show up to play in our back yard. I had finished my cook for the evening but the coals were still hot. So I dumped em in a steel trash can and hosed em down with water.

I often feel uncomfortable with letting my embers burn themselves out since we have major problems with wild fires. Like this one two miles away. (http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_webcrafton24.eeea45.html)

Is there anything wrong with dumping the water and coal chunks on my lawn? Does it contain lye or any chemicals that will kill the lawn?

Also, what do you do to put out your coals immediately when/if you find a need arises?

Thanks all.

I pick up my ring, which is attached to my charcoal grate, (with welders gloves of course) and dump it into a metal trash can and put the lid back on.

I just shut the air supply off, the coals go out and I use them again the next cook.

I just shut the air supply off, the coals go out and I use them again the next cook.

That may be all the rage in backyard BBQ but I would never do that in competition. Old coals do not burn evenly. :rolleyes:

I'm sure smothering them with the trashcan lid would work, I didn't want to risk the kiddos knocking it over. "There goes the neighborhood" has dual meanings.

What about dumping the ash/coal water sludge chit?

There should nor be anything harmful in the ash if you're using plain wood, charcoal or lump. there may be a problem if you use treated wood but then I wouldn't want to eat anything cooked over it either. spread your ash around, don't keep dumping it in the same place.

What do you cook on?
And Northwest, who cares if the coals burn evenly? You spread them around with the new charcoal you put in. Never had a problem in my drum.

Second.

And it smells soooooooooo good the next time. Even if you're only grilling hot dogs, you feel like you're really cooking.

That may be all the rage in backyard BBQ but I would never do that in competition. Old coals do not burn evenly. :rolleyes:

But he mentioned it was at home, and "neighbor kids" might give it away, its not a comp. I and most on here with WSM, and BGE's shut all the vents and they go out pretty quick.

As for the yard, ash when mixed with water is acidic. Thats why ash left in smokers gets wet and results in rust throughs. Acidic can be good for your lawn actually or it could be bad. We spread ash 2-3 times a year around our Azaleas and Rodedendrums, and they are thriving!

I have an unbuilt UDS can for all our ashes.

The only problem I've had with dumping ashes in the yard or garden is The Missus yelling at me. She don't like it, so even if it ain't bad for the plants, it is for my peace of mind.

So, in the garbage they go. I've kinda gotten used to sleeping inside.

I dump ours water and all in the same place all year and then mix it in in the spring with our compost... it does kill the lawn where i dump it but that prob cause i leave a pile... plus I hate grass so it's a bonus for me. lol

I spread ash in my yard, it's been fine. We can use anything to increase top soil depth here in VA, especially on this side of the mountains (and the neighbors kinda got mad when I spread chicken litter the first time). If you have a pH issue with the ashes then add a bit of ammonia. Not only will it bump the pH up for you but will give you a nice N addition.

What do you cook on?

Currently an ecb. Can't burn out a drum in my backyard (fire issues again) and can't convince the wife that we need an WSM six months after buying a new Weber gasser (yes she loves the smoked food, she thinks I'm going to abandon gasser completely. I keep telling here thats for cooking chicken breasts on weekdays :grin:)

As for the yard, ash when mixed with water is acidic. Thats why ash left in smokers gets wet and results in rust throughs. Acidic can be good for your lawn actually or it could be bad. We spread ash 2-3 times a year around our Azaleas and Rodedendrums, and they are thriving!

Great idea on for the azaleas. Ours are currently very unhappy.

I spread ash in my yard, it's been fine. We can use anything to increase top soil depth here in VA, especially on this side of the mountains (and the neighbors kinda got mad when I spread chicken litter the first time). If you have a pH issue with the ashes then add a bit of ammonia. Not only will it bump the pH up for you but will give you a nice N addition.

This is correct however I would not recomend spreading ammonia if you have kids or pets, Chicken chit will do what needs to be done there for acidity and a bit of ammonia too.

You can make lye with hard wood ashes, most briquetts dont have enough hardwood in them to make good lye because they are generaly made with soft woods. Your ashes can be spread in your garden or grass without harm as long as they are not piled up.

Back