Steak Grilling Question - Lid Up, or Lid Down?

Ag76

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Do you guys grill a steak with the lid on the grill up, or the lid down?

Down for me on both the gasser and bge... Come to think of it - I never have the gasser lid up when grilling anything - seems to me I read something a while back saying lid down was best but I could be :crazy:

Used to grill steaks with the lid off on my Weber OTG 22.5" but for the last couple of years I grill with it down or on. I put the steaks directly over the coals for 2.5 minutes then do a quarter turn for the diamond marks for another 2.5 minutes, then repeat for the other side for 1" to 1.5" thick steaks. End result is a good "medium" cooked steak.

Down... I hate that occasional splatter... it burns.

It's just personal preference.
If your grill or cooker can put out a lot of Btu's, then leave the lid open...obviously it's
easier to see what's going on that way.

If your grill or cooker doesn't get real hot...then close it.

I worked as a cook in many restaurants and never had any lid or cover for the
broiler or grill. Of course the broiler would put out a lot of Btu's and get very hot.
If somebody ordered a steak Well Done; we usually put it in the Microwave oven
for a few minutes as it was going to be ruined anyway; then put it on the broiler
to get some grill marks on it. That way it sped up the cooking time.

Down for me on both the gasser and bge... Come to think of it - I never have the gasser lid up when grilling anything - seems to me I read something a while back saying lid down was best but I could be :crazy:
Me too

Lid down on the gasser, egg and kettles. Sometimes if waiting on time I 'll leave the lid up on the gasser, just to slow everything down a bit!

Thin steaks, definitely lid up

Thick steaks, lid down

I actually prefer to do steaks in the 1.5" range and will cook them with no lid.

i subscribe to the idea that a good steak should be cookedvery hot. so if the outside temp makes it hotter to have lid down then lid down otherwise lid up. And only flip it once.

I always cook mine on the gass grill with the lid up. It allows me to cook them slowly. Gas just get too hot and cooks them too fast for me so the lid open helps with this. Just technique.

Back