MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

Default First Creekstone packer, under- or overcooked?

Hi there,

Got my hands on a Creekstone brisket. Never seen them before here in Finland.
Quality stuff, the point is way bigger on these as the flat, whereas Australian brisket seems to be the other way around.

This one was a choice, around 8.8 pounds after trimming. For a change I did it low & slow without wrapping.

Took around 12 hours @ 250F. I didn't probe it until the 12 hour mark,
and I pulled it in a hurry since it probed way too smooth according to my experience.
I was actually expecting pulled beef by the probe feel.
It was pretty stiff and looked pretty dry also when I pulled it. I reasoned it had stiffened back up from cooking too long.

After slicing I wasn't sure anymore if I even overcooked it. Slices held up nicely, but it pulled in "chunks" without accordion effect.
And slices were (somewhat) dry. But on the other hand, it had a bit of resistance as you can see from the video.

Point was really good and silky smooth, that would also suggest overcooking to me. Usually points take longer for me.
Taste was pretty nice, I was even surprised it didn't taste too smoky.

What do you say?

Old 01-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Looks better than you described. I'd be happy.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

I found some briskets never come out tender even though you cooked them right .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
bbqpitsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Looks better than some restaurant brisket I have eaten so definitely don't worry too much but does seem just slightly undercooked
bbqpitsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Just my opinion I feel beef does better in the cooler for and hour or two prior to serving, come to think of it so do pork butts and shoulders.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2017, 07:54 AM   #6
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I don't know, after watching the videos all I wanted to do was put that slice in my mouth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 01-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good to me.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Bosox1901
Knows what a fatty is.

I say quit your bitchin, haha. That brisket looks very nice. I need to try those those creek stone packers, cause my RD's brisket never come out that nice.

Yoder YS640- Sold
Shirley Fab 24''x50'' on the way..july/aug
WSM 14.5"
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Broilmaster PX3
Bosox1901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

Well damn you guys

It wasn't bad, but I did declare that a semi-failure by my own standards. I've done a few amazing briskets, few good ones, and a lot like this one (or worse).
But, I have to say, it looks better on video than it really was. Wasn't chewy at all, but lacked the gelatinous taste. And we compete, so I need to get my consistency down

If it indeed was undercooked then I'm really baffled. I've pulled many briskets with much more resistance when probing, and they were clearly overcooked.
Hmm. This actually felt like the probe just sank in there without any feeling, it was more tender than a typical pork butt when done.

It was held in a cooler for a few hours. One thing I've been thinking about lately is holding vs resting.

In my experience brisket (and all meat) will tighten up when cooled down, so I'm wondering are some guys cooking briskets to the edge of being overcooked and rely on rest to bring the tenderness a few notches down?

I usually just hold my briskets for a while, of course the IT will drop a bit, but not to the 150-160's. I guess I need to cook two similar flats and test this.
If I wait until a brisket "feels like butter", it's going to be overcooked according to my tactical sense of butter. But how about doing that and then holding until the temp falls. Hmm.

I am picky about the correct texture and doneness of a brisket, for sure, but I think correct doneness does at least 80% of the taste also.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
rikun
Full Fledged Farker

I will stay this, if there is a change to buy Creekstone again, I will. Didn't need to remove too much fat, so yield % was good. And it tasted really good, clean taste, fat tasted awesome.

I've cooked a lot of IBP/Tyson flats, and they sometimes have this weird off-taste, almost like red wine. Maybe they are on the verge of going bad and the fat is starting to turn rancid or something.

These imports have very long use by dates here, about 4 months from kill date. And they are always at least 1.5 months from kill date when I get my hands on them.

Some raw pics here also, didn't get a change to snap any sliced/plated pics this time:

Old 01-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

No problem seen there...
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Freak View Post
I found some briskets never come out tender even though you cooked them right .
Really?

My experience is any brisket can get tender, its just a matter of will it get tender and not be dry.

Tags
brisket, creekstone, doneness, overcooked, undercooked