Need help deciding between pellet and vertical gas smoker

thegoodson

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I'm upgrading my ECB and I'd appreciate some advice on a vertical gas smoker vs a pellet smoker. The two models I'm considering are the Camp Chef PG24 pellet smoker and the Smoke Hollow 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker. My initial reaction is to be partial to the vertical gas smoker because it seems like I can fit more meat in it and the vertical stacking seems more versatile. I also like that with a single burner on low, I might be able to smoke cheese at the top of the vertical.

I'm concerned that the gas smoker won't provide as good of a smoke-flavored bbq, the temperature will be harder to control, and it will require more monitoring time, in general. Most times I can be around and don't mind checking on it but I would occasionally like to be able to set it and not have to monitor the smoker for 2-3 hours at a time. Price, access to propane and electricity, and weather are not really considerations. I live in southern California and, while it can get windy at times, I don't have issues with harsh weather and electrical outages.

I'd like answers to these questions based on the community's experience (and other comments if I'm not considering something that I should be):

1. Which one will produce a better smoked flavor bbq taste or are they the same/difficult to distinguish?
2. Will the vertical gas smoker require a lot of monitoring time to make sure the temp is staying in range?
3. Am I correct that the gas smoker will allow me to cook more meat and is more versatile?
4. Is one better than the other for smoking things like sausage, turkey, and multiple pork butts at a time?
5. Is the 44" Smoke Hallow overkill if I mostly smoke for my family (6 of us) and occasionally for small parties?
6. Basically, what are the advantages of the pellet smoker over the propane smoker?
Anything else I should consider?

thanks!

Current hardware: Modified Brinkmann 'ECB' Smoker

I have the smoke hollow in question, it is a good unit. I have gotten better flavor than my friend does with a traeger. Propane requires a lot of monitoring. If the son comes out, or goes away, if the wind picks up, then you have to adjust. Small wood splits last 45 minutes. A box full of pellets lasts about 2.5 hours. One burner on low is WAY to hot for cheese. Get an amazen smoke maze for 30 bucks. I use mine for 2 adults all the time. Tip, get a half sheet pan and put it on the bottom rack to catch drips. Wrap it in foil.

cfrazier - after you adjust the gas, how long does it usually take for the internal temperature to reflect the change you made?

cfrazier - after you adjust the gas, how long does it usually take for the internal temperature to reflect the change you made?

Depends on if you are using water or not. If not, about a minute or two. If water, about five to ten.

Have you considered building a UDS? I put a Big Poppa Smokers kit together for $200 and it took a couple hours to build.

I had a verticle propane smoker before I built my UDS. It put out some decent food but I definitely get more smoke flavor out of the drum.

One thing that always bugged me about the gasser was that I couldn't cook a rack of ribs without cutting it half first. The one you are looking at might be bigger, not sure though.

Never used a propane but my friend has one. He gets good smoke flavor using wood chunks. The pellet smoker IMnotalwaysHO is going to cook like an electric smoker (never had an electric either) with some temp flux. You shouldn't have to monitor it for hours unless the weather changes dramatically, and it will cook for 6 or 7 hrs at lower temps before you need to add pellets. The higher temps you cook at on the pellet cooker, the less smoke flavor you will taste.

For space, I would say it is better to have bigger and be able to fit more steaks or ribs (they take up more space) on. You would need to look at cooking space for individual cookers to know if you can hold more.

UDSs are a great way to go for sure.

I also have a pellet grill and frankly think the flavor you get from burning pure wood pellets is fantastic. Get a Maze or tube smoker to enhance flavor and for cold smoking and you have an extremely versatile cooker. I can do overnight smokes for brisket and butts and raise temp for crispy chicken skin. Easy as pie.

I wouldn't hesitate to get a pellet grill.

Fully Insulated Vertical Cabinet Smokers Like the Pitmaker BBQ Vault and Safe allow you the ease of use and smoke flavor you are looking for. Low maintenance, extremely fuel efficient and customizable.

I had an electric once and it did ok, now I have a Battle Box and a rectec pellet, these are my fav go to units to cook. the rectec gives me the low and slow and the use as a high heat grill, two for one and I love it!!! The rec tec just one me last weekend a first place chicken at a local small comp .. Great flavor

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I really appreciate the time and thought. I opted to go with the vertical gasser because of the greater capacity and because my concerns about having to constantly monitor it were alleviated based on the feedback I got here and at other forums.

-Gene

I have the smoke hollow in question, it is a good unit. I have gotten better flavor than my friend does with a traeger. Propane requires a lot of monitoring. If the son comes out, or goes away, if the wind picks up, then you have to adjust. Small wood splits last 45 minutes. A box full of pellets lasts about 2.5 hours. One burner on low is WAY to hot for cheese. Get an amazen smoke maze for 30 bucks. I use mine for 2 adults all the time. Tip, get a half sheet pan and put it on the bottom rack to catch drips. Wrap it in foil.

I'm in the market for a gas or pellet cooker, and I totally forgot about the sun beaming on a propane cooker, Yes No temp control,,Looks like a Pellet cooker for me

I have a camp chef pg24 pellet and a camp chef smoke vault 24 vertical gasser; flavor wise pellet crushes the gasser. Gasser holds more and faster to get started. If I'm not going to burn sticks on the LSG then I usually go with the pellet... Except for quick sausages and the like... I do usually add some mojo bricks to the pellet

Back