Preparing turn-in boxes on Friday?

Exe-que-tioner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Was curious if anyone prepares their turn-in boxes (lettuce/parsley) on Friday night in preparation for Saturday? We have always done our on Saturday morning, and with so much going on then, it would be nice to have this task done and out of the way.
My thought was to have them made-up, cover with a damp paper towel, and store in a cooler (lids open) until needed Saturday. Maybe set them out an hour or so before ready to use so they wont be so cold from the cooler starage? Any input here?

A little trick was taught to me when I started doing boxes. After your box is made, take a paper towel lay it over the parsley and lighly dampen it and close the lid. Then stick it some place cool. Then when you go to make your box you also have damp towel to touch up the box with.

We do ours on Friday nignt as well...

A little trick was taught to me when I started doing boxes. After your box is made, take a paper towel lay it over the parsley and lighly dampen it and close the lid. Then stick it some place cool. Then when you go to make your box you also have damp towel to touch up the box with.
I like that!

It is a part of our "before we go to bed" process as well. The less you have to worry about between 7:00 am and 1:35 pm on Saturday, the better.

Just make sure you don't party too hard on Friday evening though, or instead of your boxes looking like putting greens, they will look like the deep rough.:-D

We make a point of doing our boxes as early as possible on Friday. Sometimes that means we have them done by 5 pm, sometimes we don't get the boxes until the cooks meeting and we have to do it later. Damp paper towel over them for the overnight. I don't leave the lids open, as I don't know if that would provide any benefit. Plus, it would increase the chances of a box getting broken.

I take them out about 30 minutes prior to turn in, but I'm thinking that we may extend that a little bit. The damp towel is nice to have for touch-ups too.

What he said ^^^^^^^^

I wish they would do away with it all together, but thats for another post.

Thanks for the input and tips! Looks like we will be doing presentation boxes on Fridays from now on. Glad to know it can be done so much earlier. For some reason, I just always thought something would go bad with the parsley after it had been messed with too far in advance.

Yeah, I've always done them the night before and haven't had any problems. Helps a lot when you get busy in the morning. Plus, they are my least favorite thing to do, and I feel a whole lot better when they are done and in the cooler. Makes my Friday night more enjoyable.

Yeah, I've always done them the night before and haven't had any problems. Helps a lot when you get busy in the morning. Plus, they are my least favorite thing to do, and I feel a whole lot better when they are done and in the cooler. Makes my Friday night more enjoyable.
Amen to all of that!

John

Thanks for the input and tips! Looks like we will be doing presentation boxes on Fridays from now on. Glad to know it can be done so much earlier. For some reason, I just always thought something would go bad with the parsley after it had been messed with too far in advance.

To insure that we won't have problems, I found a cooler that fits up to 6 boxes (two columns of three). The only thing that goes into this cooler is our greens for transport to the comp and the boxes once they are finished. Once the boxes are in, this cooler goes into the back of the trailer so no one opens it by mistake.

That is a great idea. Do you know exactly what type of cooler it is that you use? One that would accomodate 6 boxes with enough room for ice on the bottom would be just perfect, and to keep it away from everything else would be great as well.

Igloo Legend 40 qt fits 6 boxes perfectvwith a small bag/bed of ice below

I don't do boxes, that's why Vern and I took on to more team mates. They clean and make boxes.

We make our boxes on Friday night as well, cover with the damp paper towel and store in the fridge or cooler (Depends of the contest power allows us to use the fridge). We also try to leave space in our hot holding cambro to give boxes a quick 30 minute "warm-up" before its time to put in the meat.

Boxes rank up their with trimming chicken. (another thing Shane doesn't do!!!!)

Back