BBQ Brethren "Man Sized Meat" Throwdown!

Nice looking steak. Great first entry. :thumb:

I sooo wanted to make your photo more competitive. I did what I could, but motion blur is hard to fix. But, I knew I could help the color, since I was certain that your cut meat was washed out in the photo. Here's the best I could do. I'm pretty sure the cut meat on the fork looked more like this. I'm certain it was deeper in color and redder than the photo showed.

PA224555.jpg

CD

Nice looking steak. Great first entry. :thumb:

I sooo wanted to make your photo more competitive. I did what I could, but motion blur is hard to fix. But, I knew I could help the color, since I was certain that your cut meat was washed out in the photo. Here's the best I could do. I'm pretty sure the cut meat on the fork looked more like this. I'm certain it was deeper in color and redder than the photo showed.

PA224555.jpg

CD

Thanks, that's almost perfect. If I has time I could have fixed it with the lightening on photoshop, but oh well

Always happy to help a rookie. Since we can't taste the throwdown entries, photos probably matter more than they should. I just new that your steak looked better than the camera made it look. That's a perfect medium rare.

If you like the shopped version of your steak, click "Quote" and copy and past the image into your post as the "money shot." That way bigabyte will know what to show in the voting thread. The rules allow that, although I'm not sure that I ever helped anyone actually win a throwdown. I don't think I helped anyone lose. I think I would have heard about that. :becky:

This is going to be a very competitive throwdown. I just don't see any one dominant player, so far. I'm seeing a lot of really competitive entries.

Gore hasn't entered his DQ, yet.

CD

Trying a picture work around. I'll have to say I love my new Oakridge BBQ rub. For the family I stayed with the Competition Seasoning but for may rack I started out with a healthy blend of Death Dust and the Competition Seasoning. I really liked the heat from the habanero but it actually mellowed more than I thought it would. Next time I plan to use the same blend but more Death Dust. I finished with a blend of Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red. Thanks for looking (if it works).
MM1.JPG

MM2.JPG

MM3.JPG

Well, here is my very first TD entry. To me, Man Sized Meat means a cut of beef that makes your stomach hurt just to look at it…but you just have to eat it ‘cause it looks soooo damn good! So, here are my pics:

First up is the cut I selected. The butcher was kind enough to indulge me by cutting a fresh Porterhouse to my liking. It’s 2” thick and weighed in at a whopping 2lbs 8-1/4oz.:

weight.jpg

thick.jpg

After seasoning it in sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, fresh rosemary from my own bush, fresh thyme from the herb garden, and some pressed fresh garlic, it went on the grill:

Flame searing baby!

flame1.jpg

flame2.jpg

I’ll call this one the money shot, but there are so many more good ones, it was hard to decide:

money1.jpg

And a few for the carnivores out there:

working2.jpg

working1.jpg

carnivor.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going to go into a meat induced coma…

So after missing out on the last two throwdowns: Bigabyte (because I had no idea what to do) and tenderloin (because I was either working or out of town all dang week :mad2:!) I return for the Man-sized Meat throwdown! This made for a nice Friday night meal.

Starting off with the label, 25oz T-Bone!
_DSC8226.jpg

Now I should go to the charcoal pile for fuel.
_DSC8227.jpg

Wait, wait, wait......

This is the man sized meat throwdown, so let's cook it in a more manly fashion...over hard wood. Oak and hickory to be exact.
_DSC8231.jpg

An oak log and a hickory log to split.
_DSC8230.jpg

Let's start the fire in the weber kettle.
_DSC8237.jpg

Now let's go back inside to take a look at the meat.
_DSC8241.jpg

Nice and thick!
_DSC8239.jpg

Let's season the steak (I forgot to show the oil)
_DSC8238.jpg

All seasoned up.
_DSC8242.jpg

The fire looks ready.
_DSC8244.jpg

On the grill.
_DSC8246.jpg

Let's smother this steak. YUM!
_DSC8223.jpg

Onions and mushrooms.
_DSC8224.jpg

They look ready.
_DSC8234.jpg

How does that steak look?
_DSC8257.jpg

Time to smother it!
_DSC8259.jpg

Now for the pepperjack cheese.
_DSC8262.jpg

Can you taste it? TD Money Shot!!
_DSC8265.jpg

Done!
_DSC8266.jpg

So after missing out on the last two throwdowns: Bigabyte (because I had no idea what to do) and tenderloin (because I was either working or out of town all dang week :mad2:!) I return for the Man-sized Meat throwdown! This made for a nice Friday night meal.

Starting off with the label, 25oz T-Bone!
_DSC8226.jpg

Now I should go to the charcoal pile for fuel.
_DSC8227.jpg

Wait, wait, wait......

This is the man sized meat throwdown, so let's cook it in a more manly fashion...over hard wood. Oak and hickory to be exact.
_DSC8231.jpg

An oak log and a hickory log to split.
_DSC8230.jpg

Let's start the fire in the weber kettle.
_DSC8237.jpg

Now let's go back inside to take a look at the meat.
_DSC8241.jpg

Nice and thick!
_DSC8239.jpg

Let's season the steak (I forgot to show the oil)
_DSC8238.jpg

All seasoned up.
_DSC8242.jpg

The fire looks ready.
_DSC8244.jpg

On the grill.
_DSC8246.jpg

Let's smother this steak. YUM!
_DSC8223.jpg

Onions and mushrooms.
_DSC8224.jpg

They look ready.
_DSC8234.jpg

How does that steak look?
_DSC8257.jpg

Time to smother it!
_DSC8259.jpg

Now for the pepperjack cheese.
_DSC8262.jpg

Can you taste it? TD Money Shot!!
_DSC8265.jpg

Done!
_DSC8266.jpg

Thats what Im talkin about! You win!!! I wish I was there to eat it! Great lookin steak!!

So does the Canadian steak seasoning make your steak taste like ham?

Back