Full slab or half slab when smoking?

Porky Joes

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have a preference of how they are cooked when smoking? I have always cooked them full but was thinking of cutting them in half? Do you think this would be better for competition wise as well?

Also, do you add more sauce to your ribs right before turn in or do you only sauce them while they are on the smoker?

Thanks,

Porky Joe
www.porkyjoesbbq.com

Full slab here. I think cutting in half leads to more loss of moisture.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind wanting to **** a rack in-half. Would have never even thought to do that.

P1010364.jpg

P1010371.jpg

Cut this St Louie cut in half yesterday for the mini. 3 1/2 hour cook @ 250 and might be the best ribs i've had.

When I bought my baby's for yesterdays competition, the butcher asked if I wanted them cut in half. I still smoked them as full slabs, but was just looking for feedback.

I will cut a rack if I need to fit them in somewhere, and haven't really seen a big difference in them. But then, I only complete for smiles on the faces of happy friends and family, not $$$

I often cut mine in half for easier handling and placement on the 18-inch WSM. I have not noticed any difference, one way or the other, in how they taste.

CD

What CD and the others said 8)

The only difference I am aware of is that you will have two more ribs with bark on 3 sides.
And, to me, that is a good thing 8)

TIM

I really don't understand the reasoning behind wanting to **** a rack in-half. Would have never even thought to do that.

I have to on my only smoker: Mini WSM. They turn out quite yummy :) I can fit 3 racks in it.

The only reason I would do it is on the akorn some of the rack hangs over the hotter air coming around the diffuser, but have never done it yet.

The only reason I would do it is on the akorn some of the rack hangs over the hotter air coming around the diffuser, but have never done it yet.

That's what I was referring to in my previous comment about placement on the 18.5 WSM. I can do a better job of keeping the meat away from the sides of the smoker with half slabs.

CD

I use the rib rack or sometime, I will just lay the 3 slabs down on the 22.5 weber. I have found with the rib rack they cook up way to fast though.

How to you fit 3 racks? Do you use rib holder rack things?

I have fit 4 racks of ribs in my mini. I just roll them up and skewer so they hold and then 2 on each rack.

I personally like having full racks of ribs. I just love the presentation when friends are over and you pull whole racks off the smoker. It looks more impressive handling 12-13 bones at one time as opposed to a half slab.

I have fit 4 racks of ribs in my mini. I just roll them up and skewer so they hold and then 2 on each rack.
You have pics of that? Just doing my first smoke on the mini and curious how I could maximize space for outings where I want to use the mini.

You have pics of that? Just doing my first smoke on the mini and curious how I could maximize space for outings where I want to use the mini.

unfortunately I do not have pictures of that cook. My mini has 2 racks in it, and I put 2 wheels per rack.

But to pinwheel the ribs this is what it would look like. (picture is from google search)
3962051341_01bf3c3b8f_z.jpg

unfortunately I do not have pictures of that cook. My mini has 2 racks in it, and I put 2 wheels per rack.

But to pinwheel the ribs this is what it would look like. (picture is from google search)
Interesting! Thanks!

I used to have to cut my racks to fit inside my old smoker. Now I smoke my ribs in whole racks and cut them when served after the rest period.

I don't sauce my ribs, I serve sauces on the side. But I do spritz them with apple juice in a spray bottle every 15 minutes during the last estimated hour of cooking. The apple juice gives them a nice glossy sheen and a hint of sweetness.

Once the ribs pass the bend test, I remove them and let them rest before serving.

I take it you don't foil when you use this method?

I think they cook about the same, but since I like to use the bend test for doneness, I always smoke them whole.

Back