Cooking Boneless Beef Shank?

S

SmokeInDaEye

Anyone have any suggestions? I can't find any tips. I figured I'd marinade it in something then tie it up into a roast then either slow smoke it until fork tender or throw it on to a rotisserie to brown and slice. Never cooked one so its a cr@p shoot.

I don't know about "boneless" but normally a beef shank needs to be braised. Gonna be tough. But maybe a little low and slow would work.

I don't know about "boneless" but normally a beef shank needs to be braised. Gonna be tough. But maybe a little low and slow would work.

Just went through about 30 cookbooks and found something that should work for low and slow. Funny people don't barbecue shanks more.

Agree with grail it probably needs to be braised.

Nope, got it all figured out. And if not, I've got a pork shoulder that I know will be good. I'll document the cook.

So the boneless shank smoked for about three hours, wrapped for 2 then sliced. Turned out really well!

CIMG1917.jpg

CIMG1920.jpg

And we also cooked a pork shoulder as a quick test before the American Royal. Not sure what I think of it.
CIMG1925.jpg

Clint.. both look great.. really nice !!!.

what's in the sauce on the side ?

Smoked garlic, olive oil, chili flakes, and herbs smoked in a pan next to the beef shank. Also had some ABTs and some bacon wrapped stuffed dates plus toasted bread with hand churned butter from amish country. I'm stuffed! Tomorrow is American Royal chicken practice!

Smoked garlic, olive oil, chili flakes, and herbs smoked in a pan next to the beef shank. Also had some ABTs and some bacon wrapped stuffed dates plus toasted bread with hand churned butter from amish country. I'm stuffed! Tomorrow is American Royal chicken practice!

The shank and shoulder look good and these other goodies... no wonder you're stuffed

Back