Pork Belly

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I picked up a 14.3 pound Smithfield pork belly from Publix yesterday! I didn't feel $2.99 per pound was too bad.

I'll be cutting/trimming over the next day or two and start curing Friday so that it will be ready for bacon/smoking the next weekend.

The plan is for American bacon, pancetta, and save some of the large trimmings as "salt pork" and the rest as fat for sausage.

I'll update the thread as I get to work.

Attachments

• pork belly2 1-14-13.jpg
    pork belly2 1-14-13.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 505
Could someone tell me what makes the distinction of American bacon?
I sense a new adventure on the horizon!

I just paid $2.99/lb here in Michigan last week. I think thats a fair price

I will be ready to smoke this Saturday

;)

American bacon is pork belly, cured, and smoked. Usually thin sliced and fried. i think Brits call is "streaky" bacon.

As opposed to "Canadian" bacon or buckboard bacon made from loin or shoulder or pancetta which is cured and dried but not smoked but is pork belly!

American bacon is pork belly, cured, and smoked. Usually thin sliced and fried. i think Brits call is "streaky" bacon.

As opposed to "Canadian" bacon or buckboard bacon made from loin or shoulder or pancetta which is cured and dried but not smoked but is pork belly!

Thanks chad but its bad news for me.
"American" bacon is just bacon then, same as ours down under, no new experiments.
You guys are funny... Bacon and ice cream sammie please!

Thanks chad but its bad news for me.
"American" bacon is just bacon then, same as ours down under, no new experiments.
You guys are funny... Bacon and ice cream sammie please!

:mrgreen: Actually, there are lots of experiments with making your own bacon...different seasonings, different smoke, slice thick or thin!! I'm looking forward to adding my bacon to my recipes. I make my own tasso, andouille, and other sausages...so I've got my tasso and andouille going into jambalaya this weekend...

Sounds like some fun fixin' to happen down your way Dave 8)

Good Luck

TIM

:mrgreen: Actually, there are lots of experiments with making your own bacon...different seasonings, different smoke, slice thick or thin!! I'm looking forward to adding my bacon to my recipes. I make my own tasso, andouille, and other sausages...so I've got my tasso and andouille going into jambalaya this weekend...

Don't get me wrong, I make my own bacon and experiment with spices and herbs,molasses,even coffee.
I make pancetta too, pics are here somewhere, but I meant " American "bacon hasn't turned out to be a new species is all
:laugh:

Don't get me wrong, I make my own bacon and experiment with spices and herbs,molasses,even coffee.
I make pancetta too, pics are here somewhere, but I meant " American "bacon hasn't turned out to be a new species is all
:laugh:

Kewl! I just used the "American" qualifier for clarity - and farked that up.

Looking forward to seeing how your bacon turns out. I was just looking at a a pork belly at Publix yesterday. Didn't pull the trigger but kind of wish I did. Be sure to post pics.

I prepped the pork belly last night.
I trimmed out:
4# slab for sweet smoked bacon (cure and brown sugar)
3# slab for savory smoke bacon (cure, black pepper, garlic, bay leaf)
3# slab for pancetta (cure, corriander, juniper, bay leaft, thyme, garlic, black pepper)
The balance of the trimmings are in the freezer awaiting the next sausage session.
All slabs are in the fridge getting happy for the next 9 days!

Attachments

• Bacon 003.jpg
    Bacon 003.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 385
Man all these bacon threads are making it hard to resist :icon_smile_tongue:

You guys are right. I'm am keeping my eyes out for the pork belly :twisted:

i really want to do bacon

having a hard time finding curing salt tho, bah

Back