• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Packer Brisket in a Small BGE

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Someone asked if a whole brisket could be cooked on a Small Egg. I'd never thought about cramming a packer onto my Small but after the question was asked, I thought why not look for one small enough to fit and give it a shot?

While shopping for a brisket for the "Noobians vs Veterans" Throwdown last weekend I found a choice grade 10.05 lb brisky that looked like a good candidate for my Brisket in a Small experiment so I brought it home.

IMG_2568.jpg

The brisket was trimmed, rubbed, draped over an upside down Lodge cast iron 1 QT kettle and smoked away over some hickory. Length of brisket was 16" and the Small grid diameter is 13" so I chose to drape it to fit.

IMG_2583.jpg

It was easy to get internal temps with the brisket up high in the dome:

IMG_2594.jpg

No foiling, spritzing, or mopping on this cook. The brisket shrank enough to remove the CI kettle near the end and I ended up flipping it fat side up to allow the ends to sit up a little higher and cook a little more (the center being high up in the dome was already probe tender while the thin end was not - definitely backwards from what I'm used to when cooking flat on the grid):

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2597.jpg

Pulled when the flat was probe tender.

IMG_2598.jpg

Foiled/rested for about an hour during which I cooked up some corn on the cob on the Small (still plenty of lump for this). Brisket removed from the cooler and sliced:

IMG_2612.jpg

My one complaint was the CI kettle was a mess and a bit of a pain to clean afterwards:
IMG_2595.jpg

Admittedly I did pick off & eat that little bit of meat on the kettle leg. :heh:

It was a fun cook and I'm glad the Small passed the test but I don't think I'd try a packer on a Mini Egg! :wink:

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

I bet a weed burner would have made quick work of the kettle. :wink:

Unfortunately I didn't think of that when I had my weed burner 3 feet away! :doh:

By the time that idea came to mind it was late and the weed burner had been put away.

What kind of time and temperature did you go with? The brisket looks extremely juicy!

Awesome looking brisket!

We had a 17# plus brisket we cooked last fall at fish camp on the Big Steel Egg.
We took a disposible aluminum 1/2 hotel pan and crushed it. Used it as a center support as you did. When all was done we just pitched the pan!

That looks like a perfectly done brisky. Did you keep track of what temp you cooked it at?

What kind of time and temperature did you go with? The brisket looks extremely juicy!

That looks like a perfectly done brisky. Did you keep track of what temp you cooked it at?

The cook was a modified Hot & Fast. 230 for the 1st 2 hours, 320 for the rest of the cook. All temps at the cooking grid (using a Stoker). Total time was about 5 1/2 hrs.

Back