MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
JackBBQ
Got Wood.

Default Thinking About Starting a Weekend BBQ Business

I love to BBQ brisket, pork butt, pork ribs, chicken, and turkey. BBQing is my main hobby. I've provided meat for company picnics, a couple wedding rehearsal dinners, and informally for family and friends. I do meat only - no sides or desserts.

I have a good job during the week, but I'd love to start a small business BBQing for people on the weekends. Meat only, unsliced, still wrapped in foil. I'd supply au jus where applicable. This would be half for fun, and half for making a little money on the side. I don't expect a booming business. But I'm serious about giving it a try. The business model would go like this:

---People would tell me what they want, and I'd buy the meat to make sure it's high quality - prime grade brisket and quality ribs from Costco, and pork butts and chickens from Publix.

---I'd cook the meat and my customers would pick it up at my house (wrapped and unsliced, with jar(s) of au jus where applicable).

And that's it. I haven't explored pricing yet. I'm still trying to determine if this is even feasible. I'm not interested in true catering, where I'd deliver and serve food at a remote location. That involves complexity beyond my interest.

I could advertise in my local community paper, and set up a simple web site for people to visit.

My questions are:

1. Is it feasible to provide carry-out, meat-only services?
2. Could I do this without obtaining a business license and being subject to inspections? I live in Tennessee.
3. What kind of pricing guidelines would be appropriate for such a business model?

Thank you.
JackBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Refer to this post from IamMadman, should be stickied all over this forum IMO.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...15&postcount=7
Old 05-22-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
JackBBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Refer to this post from IamMadman, should be stickied all over this forum IMO.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...15&postcount=7

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I'm not interested in getting into it at that level of complication.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBBQ View Post
Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I'm not interested in getting into it at that level of complication.
I'd suggest using your skills to cook and help charity events, etc if that is the case. You could still cook and feed large groups, have WAY more fun and not be trying to run a business and deal with headaches.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I see people on the bookface that are offering slabs of ribs, briskets, etc. I suppose you could take that gamble if you wanted to?
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #6
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

Do you have any pets? I live in TN and thought about doing some light catering stuff but simply having pets makes you ineligible to register as a domestic kitchen.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
JackBBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highergr0und View Post
Do you have any pets? I live in TN and thought about doing some light catering stuff but simply having pets makes you ineligible to register as a domestic kitchen.
Yes, I have 3 dogs.

Wow, lotsa red tape comes with cooking food to sell. I had no idea.

Like a previous poster recommended, maybe I can find ways to have fun cooking food for charity.

I also love to build Ugly Drum Smokers. I do a pretty good job. Maybe I could build a few to sell.

Last edited by JackBBQ; 05-23-2019 at 07:33 PM..
Old 05-24-2019, 06:03 AM   #8
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBBQ View Post
Yes, I have 3 dogs.

I also love to build Ugly Drum Smokers. I do a pretty good job. Maybe I could build a few to sell.

Also, you could do some beginner barbecue classes and teach people how to cook barbecue. I put one on one time and it was very fun.