• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Butcher Paper Wrapped Pork Butt

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Decided to try a pork butt cooked using butcher paper. I cut off the money muscle and cooked both pieces in the smoker for about 3 hours at ~280* then wrapped it in butcher paper after slathering it with a little Shack sauce mixed with butter and rub.

picture.php

Here is the butt after wrapping.

picture.php

Here is the finished butt. It took about 8 hours to finish cooking and a 1 hour rest in a cooler.

picture.php

Here is the MM.

picture.php

Here is a late pic taken after dinner of the left over pulled pork I'm saving for tomorrow's lunch.

picture.php

Over all, the BBQ is really tasty. The bark is definitely a cut above using foil.

It's close to the bark you get when cooking pork low and slow directly over the heat source. The fat rendered out nicely too.

What I didn't like was how long it took to cook. The MM only needed about an hour while wrapped and it was done. The larger portion of the butt required about 5 more hours. I'm not a big fan of spending that much time cooking nowadays.

I will give it another try but will make some adjustments in an attempt to reduce the amount of cook time needed.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I just finished a butt my self I pulled the paper out to wrap it and went and got a beer must be the aluminum cans I forgot... :doh: yours looks REAL GOOD pork-a-licious:eusa_clap

LOL; you dont like 8 hours cooking a butt? :)

Where'd you acquire your butcher paper?

Yep, I usually cook a butt in about 5 hours nowadays. So, eight hours was a bit of a chore.

I got the BP at Coscto.

I agree LD, 8 hours isn't to bad of a cook time at all.

That looks mighty tasty Bo!!! Any picks of the pulled meat?

I didn't take any pics of it right after pulling it but I did add a pic of what I put in the fridge to eat tomorrow.

How do you get the paper to mold around the meat so perfectly?

He CRUMPLES it ahead of time!
I used his tip on this last time I smoked a brisket and I can't believe I never thought of that before.

Just crumple up the paper in to a ball, flatten back out, crumple again, flatten out and maybe one more time. Then it will fold tighter to the meat and not be so stiff.

Pork looks fan-farkin-tastic by the way Bo!

Why not turn up the heat after you wrap it? Better bark and a lot quicker. 350? When I wrap, I just bring it inside to the oven and finish it. The meat already has taken on the smoke and the smoker is just an inconvenient oven once the meat is wrapped.

It looks fantastic, by the way!!

Why not turn up the heat after you wrap it? Better bark and a lot quicker. 350? When I wrap, I just bring it inside to the oven and finish it. The meat already has taken on the smoke and the smoker is just an inconvenient oven once the meat is wrapped.

It looks fantastic, by the way!!

Sounds like a good idea! I will be trying that and a couple of other options too.

So do you use butcher paper while its on the pit??Ive heard of it before but I just stay with foil.

Back