• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rib Rubb

Y

Yellow Dog BrewCo

I made ribs for the first time in my masterbuilt electric smoker this weekend. They turned out good but I think they can be better and more to my preference and was hoping you guys could help me out.

1. Rub
I don't like a dark crusty bark to my ribs. I love it on my pulled pork but not my ribs. Here is the rub I used this weekend.
3 T
Sugar
2 T
Paprika
Kosher Salt
Brown Sugr
1 T
Cumin
Black Pepper
Garlic
Dry Mustard
2 t
Chili Powder
1 t
Oregano
.5 t
Cayenne

To prevent the crust I am going to try the No Sugar/No Salt rub recipe from this site. 3T Paprika, 1T Onion, garlic, basil, pepper, red pepper, mustard.

2. Texture
I do not prefer my ribs to be fall off the bone. My preference is to have a nice texture that I can bite into. The first slab I smoked at 260 degrees and they were almost too crispy. To prevent this from happening I am going to smoke at about 225 degrees.

Any advice to get me to my perfect rib will be greatly appreciated.

260 with all those sugars, yes, not great. Give that a try. Also, you may want to
foil your ribs (dare I say it) around 1.5 to 2.0 hours (it'll reduce that backness on
the outside). It'll also help keep a little moisture in. 240 is fine, but not over 250.

Like he said with the foil. I would use the salt, it makes a better product.

On a side note... Yellow Dog, you shop for home brew supplies in Fayetteville by any chance? Tried Yellow Dog once, it was good.

From what I've been told, paprika and chili powders can be more of a culprit in darkening the rub as sugar can, and speaking of sugar, lots of folks say turbinado (sugar in the raw) won't darken as bad. I don't think it has as much flavor as brown sugar, though.

If you want a lighter bark, I'd try smoking 'em at 235 or so, unless you want to foil when they look to your preference.

I agree. Lower temps and less sugar will keep you from getting too dark a bark on your ribs and foiling is also a good way to keep them moist and tender. Though, if you foil for too long, you will definitely overcook and get that mushy, fall-off-the-bone texture you're trying to avoid so at 250 degrees, I wouldn't foil for any more than an hour. But that's just me. I'm sure there are other opinions on this.

Now a days I buy most of my supplies from micro breweries.
My production is about 200 gallons a year so buying from the homebrew shop is cost-prohibitive for me. But I am very familiar and have much love for the home brew shop in Fayetteville. I never would have grown so large with out their help.

Do you brew?

Like he said with the foil. I would use the salt, it makes a better product.

On a side note... Yellow Dog, you shop for home brew supplies in Fayetteville by any chance? Tried Yellow Dog once, it was good.

OK so for this weekend I am going to try 225 degrees with the no salt/no sugar (but will add a little salt for taste) rub and see what happens.

Keep the advice coming. I am learning a lot and plan to put it all into action.

Now a days I buy most of my supplies from micro breweries.
My production is about 200 gallons a year so buying from the homebrew shop is cost-prohibitive for me. But I am very familiar and have much love for the home brew shop in Fayetteville. I never would have grown so large with out their help.

Do you brew?

Yes, but not on that scale.

Try some with foil and some without. I give my ribs about 15 minutes out of the foil (at the end) to firm and color.

Like others have said, I would be careful with the sugar. I've found that when (on occasion:rolleyes:) I foil that the sugar will collect at the tips of the ribs and turn black from being burnt. The bones are efficient heat conductors and I feel they may contribute. To prevent this I use Turbinado cane sugar (sugar in the raw). This is made from cane and it has a higher burn point than regular/brown sugar. I also lower the temp closer to 225 when foiling and don't foil over 45 min to hour tops. Very easy to overcook ribs using foil.

The ribs were amazing!!!!

My ribs from Saturday turned out just the way I wanted them.

Crispy outside, juicer and tender inside and not too chared on the outside.
I added a little kosher salt to the No salt/No Sugar rub in the recipe section.

225 degrees for 4.5 hours.

My only complaint is that the ribs I bought weren't very meaty. The pack I purchased was the Tyson brand Pork Spare Ribs from Walmart.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to pick up and how to pick juicy meaty ribs?

P.S.
Did a 7.75 lb Pork Butt (Tyson Brand from Walmart) a the same time and it was best yet!!!

I have a Sam's.
Several people have suggested Sam's.

Back