Input please

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
A friend is doing a fundraiser for a family member and is asking me to cook for it. I am leary as I have never taken any courses on food safety etc. I cook for my family and friends and haven't killed anyone yet (and want to keep it that way) and use common sense but cooking for a large group and paying folks at that is a whole different matter.
Thoughts, am I off the mark here? I trust you guys - thanks for the info.

L-M

You may be in over your head, or you may not. How many people are you supposed to feed and what are you serving? Where is this taking place?

when you say a large group, do you mean burgers and dogs or are you talking brisket? most items require proper cool down and warm ups, such as 170 degrees for 2 min at a warm up, temp through out..check your local standards!!!!!and dont forget your "commmon sense"!!!

bbjoe has a great number of threads in the food safety category that might help. This guy seems to know what he is talking about. He should know, gotta fine establishment in AZ

A friend is doing a fundraiser for a family member and is asking me to cook for it. I am leary as I have never taken any courses on food safety etc. I cook for my family and friends and haven't killed anyone yet (and want to keep it that way) and use common sense but cooking for a large group and paying folks at that is a whole different matter.
Thoughts, am I off the mark here? I trust you guys - thanks for the info.

L-M
Let me preface this with, "I'm not a catering or food handling expert"

But I've read enough threads on this forum to know that you are going down a long and winding road. If this event isn't months away, you should run as far away as possible.

Again, just my opinion...

If you're selling and serving public, you need a "certified kitchen" to do out of...

I don't want to hijack, but have the same thing proposed to me, so I'm really interested too.

Brian

Thanks Guys - you have given me the exact information I was looking for - the gig is in early October and it's a B&B fundraiser so I suppose they are looking at ~ 200 people and were looking for BBQ - pork butt, brisket, and ribs. This is'nt really something I am interested in doing - I love feeding the family and friends but once you start getting into a catering type gig, well that's just out of my league. Thanks again!

Back