I got green wood....

bmock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
No pun intended. I got a bunch of free apple wood this week. Nice big logs, it's pretty wet. I own a UDS and an Akron kamado. I use lump charcoal and a couple of chunks of wood when I cook.

My question is wait for it to cure or use it green?

Thanks for your help!!!

Ben

No pun intended. I got a bunch of free apple wood this week. Nice big logs, it's pretty wet. I own a UDS and an Akron kamado. I use lump charcoal and a couple of chunks of wood when I cook.

Thanks for your help!!!

Ben

You need to go handle that my brutha. No need to let it get to that point. :tsk:

Dude call a Dr:p... in the mean time let it air out for 6 months:roll:

If you don't "cure" your green wood, don't be surprised if it falls off..... er, I mean, out of the wood rack....

If you cut it up into chunks first you can get away with 3 months. Just let it have good air circulation and make sure it is under some kind of roof/shelter.

Thanks for your help!!!

Ben

I cut out an apple tree for a relative last year and I took a couple hundred pounds of it to use in my smokers. I cut it down to size and chopped it into chunks with a hatchet. Mine was ready to use in about 4 months after cutting it down.

You can speed the process along by cheating a little if you want to. When you are cooking low and slow on one of your grills or smokers, toss a couple of those apple chunks on the grill grate with the food for several hours and it will dry them out well enough to use a lot quicker...

If you experience green wood for more than 4 hours, seek medical attention. (Or call your wife/girlfriend, maybe both) On a side note, cut it split it and let it dry. Once you see the ends of the wood start to "check" it'll be ready. Good luck with your green wood!:mrgreen:

Start the grill up and turn it into a kiln and speed the drying process up.. Just a thought !

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll get my green wood in check ASAP!!

That thread title made me chuckle a bit. All processes mentioned above work quite well. What I always did that helped speed it up was throw a couple of pounds of silica gel in my wood shed and that took about two months off!

Back