MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
fevoice
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Wedding Rehearsal Dinner

Hi everyone,

Doing a wedding rehearsal dinner for 60. Ribs, Chicken Legs & Thighs and beans. They're doing the rest.

I'm thinking 15-18 slabs, and 90 pieces of chicken. 45 of each. 2 #10 cans beans and 1 gallon bbq sauce.

What do you think???

Frank
[URL="http://www.roaringforkbbq.com"]www.roaringforkbbq.com[/URL]
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
fevoice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Just off the top of my curly head... At the most I would think 2-3 ribs per person with 1-2 pieces of chicken, and that would be good if they are big eaters. It would also really depend on the number of sides.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
Just off the top of my curly head... At the most I would think 2-3 ribs per person with 1-2 pieces of chicken, and that would be good if they are big eaters. It would also really depend on the number of sides.
I agree with Marsha... but I would add what is the average age of the group... If it's a young wedding bring extra, if it's an older one, I think Marsha is dead on.

Good luck!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I agree with Marsha... but I would add what is the average age of the group... If it's a young wedding bring extra, if it's an older one, I think Marsha is dead on.

Good luck!
True, I forgot about the part if they are all big, hungry football player types, etc. then bring more. ;)
Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

This is why I have my flat rate....

I try to let them set the amounts although I will guide them to the best of my ability. I feel like you pretty much need to find your daily rate and stick to it as a minimum. I price myself where I just drop off the food and where I actually cater the event for the duration. That means two prices. I also do not try to be the cheapest, I feel I can charge what the market will bear and I will stick to it or better.

I would say to the customer. The standard is two ribs per person and knowing that not everyone will eat ribs, I will also make them aware of that fact. I will also let them know that I can still meet those numbers if they choose. That said, the way I make my ribs, they are very time consuming and require attention.

After the ribs, the brisket and pulled pork are just set it and forget it other than when I foil. Chicken is where you also can get into a jam.... I like to serve chicken fresh therefore you need to ensure proper timing is adhered to. If the chicken will be sitting, stick to thighs if possible.

I would probably prepare one leg quarter per person.

One brisket flat per 10 people. I have nothing against packers, but flats are a whole lot less mess.

One pork butt per 15 people.

The beans and sauce are about right..... You can always bring extra and use them only if needed. Beans heat up pretty darn quick. I would probably go with Head Country sauce it runs about $11 a gallon now. Use half of it straight and add some honey to the other half... or mustard.

All that said..... Provide the customers with those numbers and let them decide how much of each to prepare. I will always provide an extra brisket and butt (@$30)which takes no additional time, but does require additional space.

The customer provides me with the amount of food needed after I provide them with these suggested amounts. I will caculate those costs and add my flat rate. Keep in mind these amounts will also allow the customer to use these provided figures to compare me to the competition (oranges to oranges so to speak) and I am confident enough in my sales ability and my track record that I normally get the jobs that I want and many I don't want. For the most part the customer will only make a few calls for prices and if he or she makes 50 calls you aren't gonna get the job anyway and if you do......you probably will not want it in the end.

My guess is that many of the folks here at this site cater as a side job. You need to remember that most of the competition probably does this for a living and there is no sense trying to compete and low bidding which lowers the market plus leaves no room for error plus ruins their livelyhood.

As usual I am rambling on......

Of course this is probably a freebie...

Good luck on this event.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote