MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Sauced Pork

How many sauce their pork sholder entry in competition? This weekend we will try a recipe that we think stands very well on it's own but if everyone else sauces, well.......

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
BrooklynQ
Banned

Saucing depends on region and what you think the judges will like. But of course, if you have a recipe that stands well on it's own, I'd give it a shot in a contest. But remember, IMHO, judges like sweeeeeeeettttttttttttttt!
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #3
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've done it both ways. Scores have climbed a bit when I do LIGHTLY sauce. To add some shine, Wayne had me sauce the bark when I submitted the chunks surrounding the pulled pork pile. I mixed a tiny amount into the pulled pork, basically pouring a little in my gloved hands and working into about a pound or so of the pulled. We thought it rocked. Two judges did not.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks guys. I will let you know how the recipe works out. Qing the whole shooting match this weekend for practice (brisket, butt, ribs and chicken) and will have some friends grade it. Gonna be cold out there Friday night. It may not be the most accurate measure of how good it is but they will be brutally honest with us if we ask them to be.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 10:18 PM   #5
BrooklynQ
Banned

Actually, the inclemment weather will help you learn. There's no guarntee of good weather at a contest and you need to be able to produce in all conditions. When's turn-in?
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Actually, the inclemment weather will help you learn. There's no guarntee of good weather at a contest and you need to be able to produce in all conditions. When's turn-in?
Amen, Rob! My last one was proof of that! Hope I NEVER have such a cold event! Heat is ok... cold for Qing sucks!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 11-17-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
Bigmista

May suggest a sprinkle of apple cider vinegar to "brighten up" you pork? Even try mixing some in with your sauce.

I'm not a competitor but it worked for me at home. Just a suggestion...

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 06:47 AM   #8
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

Just point me in the right direction (time and place) and i'll give you a CBJ's opinion
I'll bring the beer

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2017 Will Happen
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

I'm with Mista- though I don't complete either. I usually use whatever mop I've got handy (usually cider vinegar, apple juice, worcestershire and maybe beer) with a some rub mixed in. I just pour a little bit at a time as I'm pulling. It adds moisture and a little flavor. I feel like if I can identify the sauce then I've used too much.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 08:38 AM   #10
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

In this area sauce seems to be the norm. Becareful not to over power the meat - remember it is a meat contest. As Shohn said if you can identify the sauce it is probably too heavy. We use just a touch of Blue Hog Tennesse Red on pulled pork and the Slab's sauce on slices.

BTW sliced pork is very popular in this area as well. I judged a contest this summer and all 6 entries were sliced, most with some puilled or chunked around the slices.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 09:30 AM   #11
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Someone (I think it was Dave), once said that pork must be sauced to score well. I prefer mine unsauced, but will do what I have to, to score well.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 AM   #12
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux
Someone (I think it was Dave), once said that pork must be sauced to score well. I prefer mine unsauced, but will do what I have to, to score well.
That's a generality!

We've tried it "plain", sauced, sweetened with vinegar finishing sauce, etc. There is no "magic bullet" - at least not that I've discovered. The "norm" seems to be lightly sauced - especially if you can get a nice shine or "sheen".

As MoKan opined - sliced pork is being turned in more often. I've seen it at a couple of events I've judged.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #13
Jeff_in_KC

Until I learn the best way to slice it, I'll have to stick with pulled. Hey Wayne...

But I do want to try it that way for a few turn-ins.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 11-17-2005, 01:08 PM   #14
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i like apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, brown sugar and a tap of cinnamon. i sometimes throw in clarified butter too.
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2005, 03:27 PM   #15
ulikadawgs
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Sauce

The other post about sauced pork made me wonder what types of sauce people use in competitions. Is it a rule that you have to make your own sauce? I have some sauce that I really like that I buy from a bbq joint and I wanted to know if I could use this in a competition.
ulikadawgs is offline   Reply With Quote