• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Siu Yuk (Crispy Pork Belly) w/ Bok Choy & Oyster Mushroom Stir Fry

Joshw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Started with a piece of bone in, skin on, pork belly.

Crosshatched the skin, and rubbed with salt, then put in a marinade made of, light soy, oyster sauce, garlic, Shaoxing wine, monkfruit sweetener, black pepper, Szechuan peppercorns, and five spice powder.
2ODCRPO.jpg

After 24 hours, fired up the Weber, with a couple of chunks of cherry.
3WhmShl.jpg

While that was doing it's thing, I got my wok on.
05QyltN.jpg

RW94OIA.jpg

nqU1ICo.jpg

ObOZGts.jpg

PwFyZEy.jpg

Pork belly is done. The skin didn't bubble like I like, so I turned it skin side down, directly over the coals for a few minutes, to get it to bubble.
70TptKY.jpg

QX6lJkh.jpg

Sliced between the rib bones.
BETeCeK.jpg

Plated with the stir fry
tzcUwJh.jpg

Topped the belly with some homemade Thai Chili Sauce, made with, thai chilies, rice wine vinegar, water, garlic, ginger, soy sauce,monkfruit sweetener, and xantham gum.
MuYKRSv.jpg

Final Plate.
W7b04Pe.jpg

I'm pretty positive, this is how God intended pork belly, to be eaten. Just ridiculously good.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looks really good Josh.

What temp were you running the performer at, and how crispy was the crackling?

B

I didn't worry much about temps, but the dome thermo was reading around 400 - 425. I lit a full chimney of lump, and divided it between two baskets. One on each side of the belly. Put a chunk of wood in each. Vents wide open. Took about an 1 1/2 hours. Temped at 205 when I pulled it, but was cooking until the cracklins were right. Probably could have pulled a little sooner, if I had put the skin directly over the coals a little sooner. The cracklins were perfect, crunchy as possible.

Dayyyyyum!
So when's the keto cookbook coming out?:idea: I'd buy it!

Do you have any more details on the sweet chili sauce?
Did you find a low(er) carb version of oyster sauce? That and hoisin have been nixed in our household due to the carb counts and our stir-fries have suffered because of it.

Dayyyyyum!
So when's the keto cookbook coming out?:idea: I'd buy it!

Do you have any more details on the sweet chili sauce?
Did you find a low(er) carb version of oyster sauce? That and hoisin have been nixed in our household due to the carb counts and our stir-fries have suffered because of it.

If only I had the time.

I used this recipe for the chili sauce. I substituted monkfruit for the sugar, left out the cornstarch, and thickened with 1/2 tsp of xantham gum, Used fresh chilies for the heat, and added a 1 Tbsp of grated ginger.
https://www.theflavorbender.com/spicy-sweet-chilli-sauce/

I only used the oyster sauce in the marinade, so not much of it ended up in the final meal. I actually try to stay away from all soy based products, but when cooking this type of food, it's impossible. That's why I don't do it often.

Back